The Silicon Valley execs who don't eat for days: 'It's not dieting, it's biohacking'

The last time any food passed Phil Libin’s lips was a day ago, when he ate yakitori at a restaurant in San Francisco’s Mission district. He’ll next eat in three days time on Thursday evening, when he has a reservation at one of the fanciest sushi restaurants in town. In the intervening four days it’s just water, coffee and black tea.

Over the last eight months the former CEO of Evernote and current CEO of AI studio All Turtles has shunned food for stretches of between two and eight days, interspersed with similar periods of eating. He’s lost almost 90lbs and describes getting into fasting as “transformative”.

“There’s a mild euphoria. I’m in a much better mood, my focus is better, and there’s a constant supply of energy. I just feel a lot healthier. It’s helping me be a better CEO,” he said over a cup of black coffee – one of many that day – at All Turtles’ Soma office. “Getting into fasting is definitely one of the top two or three most important things I’ve done in my life.”

Libin is one of a growing number of Silicon Valley types experimenting with extended periods of fasting, claiming benefits including weight loss, fewer mood swings and improved productivity.

Geoff Woo after seven days of fasting:

I don’t eat all week and then hit up hometown buffet on Friday. My doctor gave me a clean bill of health, and I quote “I can’t believe you are still alive!”

1 Like

Why suffer through the pain of starvation?

2 Likes

According to some pundits, it resets your immunity system, true?

Not sure about that… your immune system needs nutrition to stay healthy. When you deprive your immune system of essential nutrients, it might not be able to function very well…

You can get almost the same impact by not eating carbs. If you exercise, then limits carbs to after you exercise. You’ll drop body fat pretty fast.

1 Like

Yes and no. It allows your body to cleanse itself of toxins, which should ultimately help your immune system, but I don’t think it’s a direct cause. But getting rest is important too. I have a hard time believing you could do it without taking a bit of a break from work.

I have a friend though, who was in the military and was used to brisk runs. He said his best time was after he’d fasted for a day.

I agree with marcus335 though that you will get a similar effect by going carb-free. You’ll also find it easier to fast if you go carb-free since you don’t have the blood-sugar swings, and people find that they can go longer between meals.

Geoff needs to learn from this guy. No fasting but lots of rice and egg whites.