Tiny homes for San Jose’s homeless wins approval after heated debate

A plan to build “tiny homes” for San Jose’s homeless residents passed its first major test Tuesday, and now the city must answer the most difficult question — where to put these micro sleeping cabins.

After a heated debate, the City Council voted 9-2 to approve a yearlong pilot program to build one tiny home village comprised of 40 units. Elected leaders by next month will come up with three potential sites for the tiny homes and eventually want to place a tiny home village in each of the city’s 10 City Council districts.

Cool, your town stepping up…

Um… how about right next to the mayor’s office in downtown? :wink:

This is crap. Why build this tiny crap instead of a big apartment buildings?

Because it’s much cheaper to build a slum than normal buildings.

Because everyone, including homeless people, want SFHs, not condos!!! :grinning:

1 Like

Really??? I beg to differ… I wouldn’t mind owning a couple penthouses in NYC… :wink:

Last night, under the intersections of Hwy 101, 280, and 680 there was a fire on the homeless camp there.

Poor people.

Don’t laugh about them, you may end up there after losing everything in Bitcoin. :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Well if that’s their attitude then may God help them. :wink:

1 Like

If they are spending the whole $2.3M on the project, then that’s $57,500/unit. You can’t come close to get cheap in MFH construction. That one in SF was $900K/unit.

Now the real battle begins, because even as liberal as SJ is and as much as people say they want to help. No one wants this in their backyard. The NIMBYism will be in full force.

That’s why right next to the mayor’s office is the best location for this :rofl:

1 Like

78 games of golfing at what? $1M-$3M each?
After a liar said he wouldn’t?

But some people are debating what to do with homeless people’s homes?

I think part of the cost problem comes from the misguided belief that poor people must have things as nice as richer people.

Why can’t we build some barracks to house the homeless? And give them tools and training to get them onto their own feet? In Asia it’s widely accepted we can’t cretae this kind of moral hazard by giving poor people the same things as rich people. It may sound callous but there is certain logic to it.

1 Like

I agree 100%. Why should they have private homes? There are much cheaper ways to house them. I don’t see why military style barracks housing isn’t an option.

We’ve spent decades creating more programs to help the poor. We haven’t moved the poverty rate since 1970. It goes up and down with economic cycles. All we’ve done is make local, state, and federal budgets grow much faster than inflation.

In case of fire less BBQ will be SFH in comparison to BIG apartment building. And fire will be there…itsthe matter of time…

1 Like

See Downsizing the movie… solves all housing needs…lol

2 Likes

I still think tiny homes are bullshit. Just build something proper.

1 Like

This is exactly why people are sleeping on street. I know it’s SF not SJ but up and down in Bay Area NIMBYs are the same.

Yeah, laundromats have historic significance. Can’t be torn down to build homes for 75 families. Only in Bay Area folks.

1 Like

Why?

For one, i actually liked the pipe-apartments. As much as I appreciate big ass craftsman/colonial houses, small apartments have their place too.

Many european cities live in tiny apartments. American dream mandates large lots and stuff, but with jobs getting concentrated i can’t see a way. Similar reason why mobile parks exist.

We have 300M+ people concentrated on some metros.

I think it’s a great idea. It’s $18-22k a unit vs $1M a unit to build something proper. What’s SF doing about its homeless problem?