Tiny homes for San Jose’s homeless wins approval after heated debate

First class cities don’t have homeless problem.

2 Likes

Right, and they have a low crime rate.

Uh, I believe you meant “world class” not first class…

And we spend/do plenty for the homeless, yet more come…

Yeah, sorry i meant world class :slight_smile: I was teasing you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Are these people permanently shut out of the normal housing supplies? Why? Do they not have jobs? Rent too expensive? We should tackle the root cause not putting band aids.

These tiny homes are just upgraded homeless camps. By building these you are saying to the homeless, fine, come camp here and wait. We will put you into a free house soon enough.

San Jose, homeless capital of the Silicon Valley.

Doublewide trailers are 1500sf and be bought used in Oklahoma for $8k

you prefer double wide trailers?

I think they are better than your typical BA $1m crap shack. Need less infrastructure and can be set up in a few hours. $100-200k new.

They mentioned the building costs. What about running costs? Will they be free? I bet each site will take millions to run each year.

We already have the section 8 program to help people afford housing. Right now section 8 doesnt accept new people. I don’t know why. Enroll these people into section 8 and put them into existing houses that doesn’t cost you anything to build. They are already built duh! And you can mean test them every year as well.

Come on @manch, new construction, stimulate economy!

Economy already running hot it seems…

There’s no budget to expand section 8. Isn’t median rent over $2k/mo? That’s $24k/yr. This is cheaper than 1 year of section 8 and lasts for multiple years. The idea is to give them some stability then access to existing programs to get them back on their feet.

SF has twice the number of homeless as SJ, and what is SF doing for them?

There’s no way you’re going to making market rate housing keep enough to not have homeless people. There’s too many groups that’ll fight against it.

In San Diego they recently erected 3 huge tents for the homeless. One was in the parking lot of Father Joe’s, a provider of services to the homeless. The other two were near downtown where most of the homeless tents were anyway. Because of this, the did not meet much NIMBYism to the projects. It did get a lot of homeless off the streets.

These tiny homes are just BS projects. Just get rid of single family zoning and build baby build.