Top 10 Bay Area Public High Schools Ranked By SAT Scores

Yah. So if you are looking for cashflow rather then appreciation, multifam is the way to go

With regard to GPA vs SAT, that’s my experience as well. GPA is more important than SAT. I also agree that in order to get into UC, students can pick the easiest classes to improve the GPA.

However, if you also plan for a relatively comfortable life after high school, students should also be prepared with more advanced topics. One of my kids, when he was still in college, mentioned that a lot of kids actually came into colleges with many AP classes. Kids who were less prepared struggled, some throughout all 4 years in college.

1 Like

What I mean is there are places in the Bay Area with higher rental yield and appreciation potential for an entry level SFR.

As @BA_lurker mentioned, multi family unit buildings would be one way. For example, my Mom’s small apartment building (3 units in pseudo Chinatown) provides her with over $5-6K in monthly income (rents are semi long term so low) and she has no mortgage. That should be enough for an elderly woman to sustain on every month…

1 Like

Really, well I took the hardest classes in high school but still managed to get a 4.35 GPA and got accepted to all the UCs that I applied to. The trick is to study at a less ranked high school so there’s no competition. So all these PA and Cupertino schools might not be the best way to send your average performing kids into a good college. :wink:

8 Likes

I had a thread looking into acceptance rate into Berkeley.

1 Like

Come on, any owner in San Jose or parts thereof are Cha-Chinging to the bank with each sec… don’t need to worry about no stinking school score

Here’s something my wifey sent me:

3 Likes

Darn! Only South Bay?

AFAIK, all the global cities have low yield :slight_smile:
Berlin, London, Singapore, Stockholm, Tokyo, New York…

My hypothesis: UCs are forced by State government to admit from all schools equally, hence the GPA focus. GPA for the top 10 BA high schools are not inflated but many high schools inflate their students’ GPA :rofl: So much so, the latter group struggles in passing even the lower division courses. UCs are encouraged to pass them, so …

Wrote my comments before reading yours. You’re correct because many high schools inflate their students’ GPAs. Frankly, this lower the quality of the UC graduates. I think there is a limit to how many you can admit from each school or must admit certain % from each high school. Not so good high schools could be better deal if you don’t belong to the top 10% of the top 10 SV high schools.

1 Like

The school that I chose to attend, UCB, does grade students on a curve. So if you are not good then you’ll get all C’s. But that’s fine because graduate school is really a waste of time so the trick is just to get into a good college and be done with it. Whatever GPA you get in college doesn’t really matter.

Guess you mean undergraduate not graduate school right? Graduate schools mean Masters & PhDs.

Old system. The new system is max 4 :slight_smile:

Undergraduate is necessary but graduate school is a waste of time unless you want to become a doctor or a lawyer.

I got 4.35 GPA because college admission allows bonus points for honors/AP (advanced placement) classes.

1 Like

Not really–I’d still argue that this is parent opinion. Niche is collecting the info from parent submissions–it’s up to the parents to submit their score–if they feel it’s high enough, and care enough.

Due to demographic mix, parents of MVHS, Lynbrooks & MSJ won’t submit their scores as much as those from Gunn and PA.

1 Like

Not sure exactly what you’re arguing, but if you’re talking about high schools, some do still weight the AP courses a point higher

That would be interesting.

Anyone want to mess up the niche data? Which high school do we want to take off? We’ll have to be careful not to submit it all at once.

The news article says

The scores presented here have been calculated from data schools submitted to the U.S. Department of Education for the 2017 testing season. As of March of last year, the SAT is scored out of 1600 points.

I don’t think test scores are based on parents input.
However, ranking may include parents input given that ranking is not aligned with test score.

2 Likes

Ditto. Waste of time AND money (tuition, and/or if you get a full ride, loss of income).

1 Like