Trading wars impact

It’s still small. It’s crazy imports are only $505B. That’s only 2.7% of GDP.

Guess the imports affected are by Chinese companies, not those outsourced to China such as iPhone.

I think the iPhone value is divided into country of origin. When it’s imported, only the value of parts and labor from China count as imports from China. I had to go through product BOMs once with accounting and review the country of origin for every component.

1 Like

No. I don’t think the accounting breaks down into components. A complex product like iPhones have components from all over the world.

When you buy a Qualcomm chip fabbed by TSMC, is it an American chip or Taiwanese?

I guess by now the market is discounting heavily anything from trump. The guy shoots his mouth first and his stuff tends to get watered down.

2 Likes

There’s a country of origin for every component.

1 Like

Thinking aloud:

May be Trump admin wanted the iPhone to be assembled in USA but Apple couldn’t do it because of supply chain and labor supply issue. If this is the direction then Apple would be actively looking for the right place to do the assembly… the locality of the third Apple Campus? We know is not Texas and California, where? Atlanta seems like the right place… where to buy? Actually Austin is able to do the manufacturing… guess going to be two places.

I think is not just about national security. Is economic war!!! The fight to control the technology of the future. AI, robotics and cybersecurity. Look like investing in MU, IRBT, PANW and SPLK is the right thing to do :slight_smile:

BAJacket,

Can you give us a good briefing during the next meet-up?

I don’t think there is anything strategic in trump’s plan. The guy is stupid and the caliber of his cabinet is dropping fast.

An increasingly hostile west may be one of the reasons why Xi was able to convince the party elders to allow him stay in power forever. There is recalibration in both the west and China. Long term more prone to conflicts.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s right to blame the west for China’s own problems.

1 Like

Worrying times ahead for Singapore with US trade tariffs

"The US is like a heavyweight sumo wrestler brow-beating wrestlers of lighter weight.”

IOW, US is a big bully :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

He’s the first president to get N Korea to want a meeting. They are willing to discuss ending their nuclear program and missile testing. If he achieves that, it’ll be a massive foreign policy win.

China has been waging a trade war on the US for a long time. The US finally has someone that’ll fight back and not blindly tolerate China’s anti-competitive practices as the cost of doing business with them.

The same goes for Mexico, Canada, and EU. We tolerated tariffs against us as the price of being the biggest economic power. We were scared of appearing to be a bully if we apply tariffs to others. No one seemed to care that foreign tariffs hurt American companies and workers. Now we’re saying if trade isn’t going to be free, then we’ll put tariffs on you too.

I think it’ll ultimately lead to more free trade and not a tariff war. Everyone knows that we all lose in a tariff war. The issue is we never had negotiating leverage to get other countries to remove tariffs. Now that we’re willing to apply tariffs, we do have the leverage. These initial ones are small and really inconsequential when you look at the dollar amounts. It’s more about signaling to other countries that they better play ball on free trade.

The media is covering this like it’s a simplified game of checkers which is ignorant. It’s a highly complex game of chess. These initial moves are setting the stage for later.

I read about Trump from this book

https://www.amazon.com/Trump-Art-Deal-Donald-J/dp/0399594493

For him, either his way or noway is the policy. With this policy, He is simple and firm.

There’s again, the usual, and common sucker supporting any wrongdoing from this vulgar president. There’s always the “well, blah, blah, blah” when we know whatever he does is going to sink our country sooner or later.

Don’t let deflectors tell you anything, but the meeting between the US 5 times draft dodging Rambo and the lunatic as his counterpart, the North Korean “The Terminator” was brokered by the South Korean president Moon Jae-in.

How can you govern if your priorities are golfing? Or, wanting a military parade when you were a coward dodging the draft? 5 times!

Canada and Mexico are exempt on the new tariffs pending the outcome of NAFTA negotiations. In other words, if Canada and Mexico remove some of their tariffs on our products, then we won’t place tariffs on theirs. This will ultimately lead to less tariffs and more free trade. This is why knee jerk reactions to headlines aren’t healthy. The issue is once people form those opinions, then it’s very rare they’ll change them no matter what facts become available later.

1 Like

When you have a liar as your president, anything can happen.
Like the stock market tumbling. Yeah, nice try though…:face_vomiting:

President Trump boasted in a fundraising speech Wednesday that he made up information in a meeting with the leader of a top U.S. ally, saying he insisted to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau that the United States runs a trade deficit with its neighbor to the north without knowing whether that was true.
Subscribe to the Post Most newsletter: Today’s most popular stories on The Washington Post
“Trudeau came to see me. He’s a good guy, Justin. He said, ‘No, no, we have no trade deficit with you, we have none. Donald, please,’ ” Trump said, mimicking Trudeau, according to audio of the private event in Missouri obtained by The Washington Post. “Nice guy, good-looking guy, comes in — ‘Donald, we have no trade deficit.’ He’s very proud because everybody else, you know, we’re getting killed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/in-fundraising-speech-trump-says-he-made-up-trade-claim-in-meeting-with-justin-trudeau/ar-BBKeeiY?ocid=spartanntp

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/videos/wapo-reporter-gives-details-on-trump-audio/vi-BBKfcHj?ocid=spartanntp

Mexico doesn’t allow Americans to buy beach property.
But Mexicans can buy beach property in the US. NAFTA is not fair. Never has been.

4 Likes

Not true.

Can I have a commission for finding this out?:smiley:

You want a property there, it won’t be like here, you won’t have Uncle Pedro giving you a handout via 1031. or whatever incentives you find in the US. You need to pay the price, but you can buy any property there.

Foreigners can own property anywhere in Mexico. Recent changes to Mexican laws now permit foreign ownership of Mexican Real Estate. The way the title of the property will be held will depend on its location.
If the property is in the “Restricted Zone” it will have to be held with a Fideicomiso (Bank Trust). The Restricted Zone is defined as any property that lies within 100 KM of an international border or 50 KM from the coast. The international borders are the United States, Guatemala and Belize. Learn more about Buying Coastal Property In Mexico’s Restricted Zone.

http://www.baja123.com/PURCHASING_FOREIGNERS_BUYING_PROPERTY_IN_BAJA/page_1242993.html

http://www.baja123.com/PURCHASING_BUYING_COASTAL_PROPERTY_IN_MEXICO/page_2313216.html

2 Likes

Foreigners are not allowed beach property 50k from the coast…They have to have a Mexican intermediary…a Fideicomsio…Big pain…Causes a lot of expense…Prettty easy to get citizenship it you want outright ownership…anyone can own inland…But fwe want to …Problem with Mexican ownership is you have to pay cap gains taxes on an inflated peso…Meaning that even if the values goes down in USD the proceeds of a sale can be taxed…Low property taxes though…

1 Like

US is tightening screws on china. And people wonder why there’s a thing called Thucydides trap?

China is actually not as dependent on trade as before. The thing it needs most now is semiconductor manufacturing technology. It’s badly behind and can’t even buy equipments because of embargo. If you have some intimate knowledge with sub 10nm process technology expect some very juicy offers from Chinese companies.

1 Like