Trump blocks Broadcom-Qualcomm deal, citing national security concerns

1 Like

I didn’t realize Broadcom was incorporated in Singapore. It’s not uncommon for countries to only allow minority ownership by foreign companies. I think Japan is 33% and China is 49%. It applies to all companies not just ones that impact national security.

National security reason? Singapore has very close tie to USA. Intel and QCOM CEOs manage to convince Trump admin to block using this NS reason?

1 Like

Broadcom was an American company that got bought by AVGO from Singapore. There was no security concern back then. But now that Qualcomm and intel complained there suddenly is.

3 Likes

Almost every cell phone in the world has a Qualcom chip. If anyone wanted to have surveillance on the entire world, that’d be how to do it.

1 Like

Are you saying CIA or FBI has tampered with QCOM chips?

Almost all cell phones are assembled in China too. Are we sure they don’t slip in something extra?? :thinking:

2 Likes

But still, the deflection is still working because we are still to see a complaint from the deflectors in charge. Right comrades?

We have a 5th grader in the white house scared of the monster underneath his bed. Oh, the 400 pound gorilla or so.

That’d be far easier to detect than designing it into the Silicon. Plus, it it was something extra you’d need a way to sneak in software to use it. If it’s on the chip, then it could be in the firmware.

I think they realize if someone did tamper with them, then they’d have virtually unlimited surveillance on the whole world.

1 Like

I read it another way. Fed has cooperated with QCOM, and can’t let third party know about it.

1 Like

No wonder china is so gung-ho on developing their semiconductor industry.

Next time China demands Qualcomm show them the design and schematics of their chips before they can sell in China, because of national security concerns, it’s just fair, right?

Actually I see this development (blocking of broadcom’s acquisition of QCA) as a terrific thing. I’m in an industry which uses pretty much either B or Q’s chipsets for our products. For the past 5 years, with each generation of our products (which are based on new IEEE standards every few years), its the same story — do we use Q or B this time around?

And every time, its the same deal. If Q is first to market, then B’s chipsets are more stable. Or, if B is first to market, then Q’s chipsets are either faster or more stable.

From my angle - it is good to keep the two companies separate — it give little guys like us some choice — preserves competition.

2 Likes

I also think Broadcom should not be allowed to swallow Qualcomm. But that should be based on antitrust ground, not national security.

3 Likes