Uber self driving car kills pedestrian

May be I shouldn’t use the word car… personal transportation :slight_smile: Car gives you the vision that is still a car!!! May be the EV should be a sphere :slight_smile:

No

You should. Your comment about eliminating the human problem has an interesting solution in the movie :smiley:

1 Like

Agree with these views. This is after all #1 of the famous 3 laws of Robotics by Issac Asimov

A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

https://www.auburn.edu/~vestmon/robotics.html

Human leg is the best transportation tool. The best in environmental impact, global warming, sea level rise, land sinking, healthcare, longevity.

I dream a world that only humans on the road, not cars.

No cars, no guns, no travel, just a simple and peaceful life.

Self driving cars need to be made from wood and travel 3 mile per hour. Would be very safe.

:rofl:

Trash talk.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2018-03-24/ceo-krafcik-says-waymo-tech-robust-enough-to-avoid-uber-crash?__twitter_impression=true

It was just a matter of time.

My son was telling me he’s looking forward to self-driving cars, and then I start telling him all the ways a hacked car can go AWOL. That’s the biggest problem with self-driving cars.

Actually, it’s not trash talk :slight_smile:

Biggest problem in any connected hardware. Imagine any security system, any biomedical connected device. All of them are ticking bombs for hacking.

1 Like

Why was this woman jaywalking across 6 lanes of traffic at night…Darwin award winner?
Here is the real story…engineers innovate, lawyers regulate…Wait till the regulators throttle the self driving car industry in its crib.

http://www.azfamily.com/story/37787674/glendale-law-firm-says-it-represents-daughter-of-woman-killed-by-self-driving-uber

1 Like

That’s a mistake on her side, and she unfortunately paid with her life.
But autonomous cars ought to account for human mistakes. That’s why they are built. They should have response times faster than most careful human could do.

I don’t expect regulatory lcamp down to come just yet. Only if multiple companies do similar mistakes, then it could happen. If uber keeps fucking up repeatedly, then i expect something specific to uber.

1 Like

Under the law, this woman is at fault. No compensation for her.

In the technology side, self driving cars need to be improved to never kill a pedestrian while moving. If a pedestrian bang her head into the car and commit suicide, not a technical fault.

In this case, technology needs to improve. But the legally the self driving car is not liable since a human driver would be no better.

1 Like

Self driving cars are still 10,000x safer than humans. Do we all forget the stupid drivers? The ones who got drunk or used drugs? The one who texted and played with their phones?

Nothing is 100% safe. If society insisted on that standard we wouldn’t even have cars to begin with. How many people did cars kill? Should we go back to horses?

1 Like

We need protection against ambulance chasing lawyers. How about more regulations on them, too. Like not allowing contingent litigation and class action BS

2 Likes

Assume all drivers are impaired. Never jaywalk at night.
In Moscow drivers literally speed up to hit you when jaywalking. Assume every driver is crazy… It will save your life.

2 Likes

Imagine is self-driving cars avoid 2.5M accidents a year, but there are 11,000 fatal accidents a year. People would want to ban them.

2 Likes

manch,

This is the reason why I’m scared when I heard about project Titan. Its huge cash hoard would attract tons of lawsuits. Is unwise for Apple to launch anything autonomous till the critical regulations are in and many have tried, let Uber and Tesla be the point. This is the type of innovation you definitely don’t want to be first.

I bet ambulance chasing lawyers will pay you to follow self driving cars and to take pictures of crashes.
Could be more lucrative than driving for Uber.

I don’t realize this was in Tempe. I’ll probably be there in the next 6 weeks.

Apple will be late to self driving. Don’t worry. By the time its self driving is ready there will be a number of other autonomous vehicles in the market.