What to Do with Tunnel Entry?

Put a piano in there. Turn it into a music room…Also would be good for a home office…Clients would never have to into the rest of the house…

3 Likes

I don’t know about an actual office/music room per se - but convert the tunnel entry to a nice foyer n’est-ce pas? People like nice foyers. Foyers make it so that folks aren’t just vomited into the living space - i.e. hotels vs. motels. A sense of occassion in a public space before proceeding to the more private spaces. The stupid thing with these tunnel entrys are that they are open to the elements. WTF - its not a nice foyer/mudroom if I’m freezing, getting rained on, is a dark pit, and has crappy rough concrete on the ground.

Another tunnel fix:

Well again, who would sit by themselves there? :thinking:

Put a sofa bed there and turn it into an optional guest room.

Does it even have heat down there?

Why not open it up a little more to fit another car?

1 Like

Maybe a tiny Smart Car. The the size is pretty restrictive. Plus it is the entrance/stairway to the front door - it will be super awkward to setup the front entrance with a car block the front and most like won’t pass the building code

1 Like

I’m sure people have done it! I was also more or less making a joke on how everyone in the Sunset/Richmond crams all of their cars onto one small driveway.

City won’t let you put in a curb cut for the driveway

So true on cramming cars on a tiny area and that is only if they wider front area which is not that common either.

I’m not surprise the city won’t curb cut for the driveway. What is the reasoning for this? Safer for us or less money for the city?

The city looses street parking

I think ultimately the best thing to do with a tunnel entry is to treat it as a mudroom, so that shoes / coats / etc can be deposited in a closet there without having all that outside detritus spill over into the main living spaces.

This one I find is poorly executed -

a) mishmash of architectural styles - the gate in the front looks way dated
b) the two windows flanking the main door don’t line up. For chrissakes, don’t use standard sized vinyl windows to do that - it looks cheap.
c) the whole cut out in the stucco facade is oddly shaped — either make it well shaped or celebrate its shape, don’t awkwardly graft a front door there
d) weird staging — once inside, see the art work cover the light switch on the right
e) hand rail leading upstairs has that 80s dated profile
f) entry foyer closet doors are made of glass to lessen the effects of materiality, but the flimsy header and the fact that it doesn’t line up with the adjacent door to the garage makes it look cheap
g) looks like the capped off the foundation on the left with sheetrock and wood that matches the floor? looks weird.
h) interior hollow core 6 panel doors. ugh.

1 Like