Why Are Little Kids in Japan So Independent?

The whole cleaning / serving food process seems so familiar to me.
That’s exactly what we did in schools.
On top of that, we had to get together early Sunday mornings to clean up neighborhood trashes etc.
That mandatory community service continued even in the company I joined after graduation.

Nowadays, school requires students, teachers and parents to clean up classrooms and school facilities in S Korea.

Personally, I prefer American system.
Mandating thorough cleaning to little kids (I am not kidding, I remember spending hours to wax hardwood floor in classroom. It was awfully painful and inefficient process.) sounds more like “training them as obedient member of society than boosting their independence” to me. Of course, moderate level of chores should be beneficial for kids.

2 Likes

I also prefer the American system. I feel that the Asian system is more geared towards training robots. Does not work well.

I think everyone should work fast food or retail while in HS or college. It makes people appreciate a career that much more. Plus, it should make people think twice about being the a-hole customer.

1 Like

Too pampered by parents. I’m seeing similar things now in the US.

America has 6000 of recorded history?

What do you think of Thailand system of monk hood for man?

Good for some ppl, bad for some others

Recorded history means nothing these days. The newer the better! How many years of history does cryptocurrencies have? Why are people so obsessed over it? :wink:

I agree. Some kids’ ego needs to be crushed otherwise they will never learn. Doesn’t work for everyone though.

1 Like

I think that’s exactly what it is. It still amazes me Japanese (maybe Koreans too?) clean the floor with a hand towel. That’s back breaking work!

I remember doing this. We also took turns serving food.

I guess that comes from “futon(thick cotton mattress) / sitting-on-the-floor” culture.
Although most of them use bed these days, Koreans are still obsessed with keeping the floor shiny and clean.