Why Trump still may win

Lincoln to Nixon first. Then from Nixon to Bush. Now Bush to Trump.

It’s amazing to look back at Republicans in the past. Nixon set up EPA, the agency that got the most hate from the right next only to IRS. Reagan broke up AT&T and did amnesty. Bush went to a mosque right after 9/11 to show America is not an enemy of Islam.

And now all we got from the right are the crazies.

2 Likes

The left keeps geeting crazier too…Politics is getting insane because our problems are too big and not solvable…Consensus government works only when things are good…When the shit hits the fan strong tyrantical leadership is needed…That is Trumps appeal and why Putin is so popular. …Hillary is politics as usual. Nothing gets done and we stumble along…pray it keeps working…But be prepared for massive tax increases…the Demos only governing tool

1 Like

Looks like Hillary will win the Senate as well. So part of the logjam will be solved.

I think the big taxing dems are grandpa’s dems. Since Bill Clinton I think the Dems are pretty much pro business. That’s the whole thing about Hillary’s perceived weakness. That she is too close to Wall St.

Maybe the left is also getting crazier, but the degree on the other side is totally out there no comparison.

Taxes won’t solve the corruption and over bloated agencies that add an additional 20% to our economy. .

Old joke about government contractors on how to contract to build a fence…that actually only costs $7000 to build
The Chicago contractor doesn’t measure or figure, but leans over to the White House official and whispers, “$27,000.”

The official, incredulous, says, "You didn’t even measure like the other guys. How did you come up with such a high figure?

"The Chicago contractor whispers back, “$10,000 for me, $10,000 for you, and we hire the guy from Kentucky to fix the fence.”

“Done!” replies the government official.

And that, my friends, is how the Government Stimulus plan worked.

1 Like

Winning the Senate means nothing unless you get a 60 vote super majority

It will help a lot with even just 50 votes. GOP can’t filibuster every single thing, or risks being painted as a party of No. It already has that image. Also it looks pretty bad with a bunch of old angry white dudes playing dirty tricks with the first female leader of the free world.

With a 51 vote majority you can change the Senate rules so it only takes 51 votes to bring something to a vote. All it takes is a vote to change the Senate procedural rules. It is not a constitutional protection.

1 Like

Exactly @sheriff. Honestly it’s an abuse of congress power to do nothing but obstruct the executive branch.

@manch What should the government be passing that it’s not?

Immigration reform. An up or down vote on Garland. Next up is more infrastructure spending, with reduced tax to bring back offshore cash.

Lots of things the country badly needs.

Do you mean roads, light rails and bridges? Is that wise since we are changing to self-driving EVs in the future? There would be less land vehicles, so may not need to upgrade roads, also may want a different kind.

Congress is so eager to see clawbacks in executive comp. We should clawback congressional salaries and cancel their pensions.

The stalling on supreme court justice confirmation is BS. They should have a reasonable limit (30 days) and then have to vote.

Personally, I’d love to see the tax code simplified so there’s not so much special interest money in it. If we did a flat 20% with a standard deduction for poverty rate, then we’d generate about the same income tax as now.

We do need to get offshore cash back.

Infrastructure spending is near impossible in this country. Just look at the bay bridge. We spent $6.4B on 2 miles of bridge, and it took twice as long as planned. The original bridge was $30k/ft adjusted for inflation and the new one was $550k/ft. We actually used to build faster. Shouldn’t be build faster now with modern equipment? Infrastructure turns into a way to line construction company owner’s pockets on the backs of the tax payers.

2 Likes

People forget Obama got little done with a senate and house majority.

Immigration reform is more complicated that just partisan issues…Special interests screw up almost evervy deal…often doing nothing is the nest course

Basically all he achieved was Obama care which a is half measure at best… A hybrid. .the bastard stepchild of Massachusetts care…a Republican idea…Universal healthcare…Medicare for all is what he wanted…didint have the horsepower to pull it off…

1 Like

Obamacare is a huge deal. It’s not prefect but nothing is. Politics is the art of the possibles so I say the first 2 years is a huge success for Obama. Also don’t forget we were hanging on by a thread back in 2009. The fact that we didn’t slide into Great Depression 2 is a major accomplishment.

1 Like

Obamacare was a big deal for me. It was the only way I could get insurance at any price. We have a new managing partner at work who treats workers better now, but for a while it was crucial to me. It will probably be again when I retire and my wife needs insurance.

1 Like

Obamacare will implode under increasing premiums. Plus, we still can’t buy across state lines. It didn’t do anything to address the cost of healthcare. It simply shifted who pays the premium for low-income people. If we want to address the issue, then we need to get Americans to live healthier. There’s no reason for the US to consume 80% of the world’s prescription drugs. We can argue are prices are too high, but our consumption is insane. No one talks about consumption. Pushing around who pays for it won’t lower the cost. If anything, it’ll increase the cost because the end consumer doesn’t see or pay it.

Just look at elective medical procedures. Lasik is constantly getting cheaper and better. That doesn’t happen when insurance shields consumers from pricing. People will argue insurers have an incentive to negotiate the lowest possible price. If they weren’t so regulated, they would. However, they must pay 70% of premiums in claims. That means their profit is whatever is leftover from the other 30%. That’s why they all make ~5% profit. It’s actually better for them to pay out more in claims, so they can increase premiums. It works great when most people are covered by their employer. They don’t even directly see the full cost of their premiums. You want to know why pay raises have been smaller lately? You can look at healthcare premium increases.

We’re getting piss poor “solutions” because people can’t see beyond a single-variable they are trying to fix. People care far more about political talking points than actual solutions. It’s embarrassing.

1 Like

To people who get coverage now who otherwise can’t, this is literally life and death issue. People who have coverage from their jobs can afford to play philosopher or arm chair economist saying how Obamacare is not perfect in this and that way. Sure. It’s not perfect. But it helps millions and millions of people. That fact should be easy to understand.

You just add another thing hillary can do that’s an urgent issue for America: improve Obamacare.

97% of the newly insured are because of medicaid. The other people buying insurance are replacing lost work coverage thanks to Obamacare causing employers to drop coverage. We could have signed people up for medicaid without spending $2B on the website. The other big thing was pre-existing conditions. Both parties wanted to pass that. That could have been done without the other 2,000 pages in the bill. I guess they tried hard though, so we shouldn’t care about costs, effectiveness, or have any accountability.

Obamacare was an accomplishment…But Obama sacrificed all the other more important issues in his personal hatred of insurance companies (funny how they won anyway) …Things like the economy, immigration, infrastructure, trade, energy, all ignored…which now Hillary will solve? Highly unlikely, especially without house and senate majorities. …People put way to much importance on the presidency. Presidential power is limited…Presidents get more blame and credit than they deserve

Medicaid expansion is part of Obamacare package. So is the pre existing condition ban.

I don’t see much use arguing Obamacare is bad, much less should be repealed or overturned, because some parts of it are not perfect. If you remember it was extremely hard to get it passed at the time. And even after it passed, GOP spent countless efforts to get it repealed. To this day the official GOP platform is still to repeal Obamacare.

Hillary has gone on record multiple times saying Obamacare needs some fixing and that’s what she wants to do. Not repealing it. That would be like saying the original iPhone 1.0 is crappy compared to iPhone 7 and should never been done. No. Obamacare v1 is not perfect and needs improvement and that’s what we need to do.