Will Facebook Rock Our World Today?

#SiriSucks

1 Like

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg arrives to testify before a House Energy and Commerce hearing on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday, April 11, 2018, about the use of Facebook data to target American voters in the 2016 election and data privacy. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

On Wednesday, the second day of Congressional hearings, Facebook (FB) CEO Mark Zuckerberg finally addressed whether the company keeps a record of the websites or Facebook pages that users visit.

In response to questions from Rep. Gene Green (D-Tex.), Zuckerberg mentioned Facebook’s download a copy of your data feature. Green asked whether it contained all the data Facebook had on an individual, including browsing history, something that is not present in the data download feature.

Zuckerberg said, “I believe that all of your information is in that file,” suggesting that Facebook does not in fact keep records of people’s browsing history or Facebook pages.

However, after a five-minute break from a grilling by lawmakers, Zuckerberg corrected his initial answer after consulting with his team.

“In response to a question about whether web logs [browsing history] that we had on a person would be able to download your information, I said they were,” Zuckerberg said. “I clarified with my team in fact, the web logs are not in ‘download your information.’”

This statement reveals that Facebook does, in fact, store users’ browsing history on its platform.

However, Zuckerberg continued, “We only store them temporarily, and we convert the web logs into a set of ad interests that you might be interested in.” These are among the information documents that a person can download. “And you have complete control over that,” said Zuckerberg.

A Facebook spokesperson did not specify exactly how long “temporarily” means.

The clarification was a small moment of revelation — to Zuckerberg as well, apparently — and capped a two-day, 10-hour long session in which Zuckerberg answered lawmakers’ questions, over and over, about Facebook’s business model, its relationship with third-party apps and data, and its political leanings.

–

Can’t give a straight answer. How long is “temporarily”?

#DeleteFacebook

They changed the third party access back in 2015. What are people talking about?

Third parties can’t see your stuff. They can use settings to determine who can view their adds. They can limit ads to only be shown to women age 25-34 if they want. The third party doesn’t get data on which profiles fit that criteria and see the ad.

Most browsers allow which is your browser history. Facebook isn’t unique in using that data to target ads.

The questions about political bias were far more revealing.

2 Likes

Don’t sell data to advertisers.
But sell access to data to advertisers.
#DeleteFacebook

All they see is a set of filters. As they apply filters, it tells them how many potential people will see the add. That allows them to make the filters more or less restrictive.

Another moron.

2 Likes

05%20PM
#DeleteFacebook

Remember, investing is about the future :slight_smile:

The worse effect of FB is it is dragging SHOP down!

#Discount

Remember the time when everyone was uproar because Google is scanning your email to display relevant ads in Gmail? People have short term memory.

2 Likes

That’s me. :wink:

1 Like

Sun Tzu is a Chinese :slight_smile:
I think you’re a copycat at best :rofl:

Nah! I am a dumb guy pretending to be smart. Period! :sweat_smile:

I love to read books about philosophy from Chinese thinkers. I don’t make that much of an effort, but when I get them I read them. :wink:

That I retain what they say is another thingy. :scream::crazy_face:

You should read about the 36 strategies. Very practical usage.

The best one is the last one, “Run away to fight another day”

If it becomes obvious that your current course of action will lead to defeat then retreat and regroup. When your side is losing there are only three choices remaining: surrender, compromise, or escape. Surrender is complete defeat, compromise is half defeat, but escape is not defeat. As long as you are not defeated, you still have a chance.

2 Likes

LOL.

How about “better to be called a coward than a deceased” :sweat_smile:

1 Like

In Menlo Park, there were cheers from some employees. According to one who was watching a TV nearby, “It was like magic.” At another spot in Facebook’s offices where senior executives had gathered, people started laughing and smiling. The toast was going just fine. Nothing was going to go horribly wrong. Meanwhile, employees had their eyes on the stock ticker, which, for the first time in a while, had started to turn upward.

On Thursday, the day after the hearings ended, Sheryl Sandberg was supposed to address the staff in a company-wide Q&A. Instead, Zuckerberg returned to Menlo Park and answered questions in person. “It was a Mark lovefest,” one employee said.

1 Like

Facebook should watch their back. Censorship is in.
Craigslist personals were taken out by Congress.

US Congress just passed HR 1865, “FOSTA”, seeking to subject websites to criminal and civil liability when third parties (users) misuse online personals unlawfully.

Any tool or service can be misused. We can’t take such risk without jeopardizing all our other services, so we are regretfully taking craigslist personals offline. Hopefully we can bring them back some day.

To the millions of spouses, partners, and couples who met through craigslist, we wish you every happiness!

1 Like

I know, there goes one of my sources for mates for @wuqijun
 Hey, we all in our own way are doing some type of hustle, right??? :slightly_smiling_face:

Not synonymous because of your statement implies you can surrender or compromise :slight_smile:

hey! Being alive is all what matters. :crazy_face:

WSJ: Facebook launching effort to design its own chips

1 Like