Wow, Only 23 LEGAL Inlaws Built In 2 Years

but how many illegal ones were built? Oops…

http://www.sfexaminer.com/just-23-law-units-built-two-years-sf-seeks-iron-approval-process/

1 Like

Not surprised. Fire everyone in building and planning. They only know the word no. They can’t conceive a world where the people make their own decisions… after all they are so much smarter than the people… lol

2 Likes

Yep, this is the ADU program that I was talking about in the other thread about Rent Control.
In my situation, I could potentially do this in a super easy way — I have a SFH, I have met with planning, most of my construction costs would be very minimal ----

And yet I abandoned any plans to create an ADU (and alleviate housing supply issues) simply because it is very very unclear whether or not creating an ADU would expose my SFH to rent control. The Rent Board’s official position today is that the SFH’s exemption from rent control under Costa Hawkins would remain in tact. However, after chatting with several members / supervisors of the Rent Board, it was obvious to me that they were philosophically opposed to the official “party line”. Furthermore, with legislators like the batshit-crazy-David-Chiu chomping at the bit to expand rent control — there is no way I’m gonna take that risk and fall for this bait-and-switch ploy.

4 Likes

I don’t think this is low number is due to the DBI permit process. More like the SFH owners in SF are smart and don’t think the ADU under the current terms and conditions is worth it.

3 Likes

The wechat group I lurk in warns people not to add in-laws. It’s obvious the program is a roach motel. You can only check in, never check out.

4 Likes

when in doubt, fire the city.

1 Like

SF has the most over bloated bureaucracy in America…Fire everyone…eliminate the whole homeless industrial complex.

2 Likes

These liberal machine cities have decided your home and other properties are merely utilities to be regulated and controlled by these arrogant bastards…

1 Like

Even an illegal inlaw can make your single family house under rent control. I’m sure that ADU will put your house under rent control.

The only way to build many ADUs is to repeal rent control and make a law that houses with ADU will be forever exempt from rent control. This way, you can disregard the existence of your Jane Kim

1 Like

As far as the City of SF is concerned you don’t have sovernrity over your own home…As dangerous attitude

Yes, I am in line with your thinking, thanks. I am, though, more concerned about David Chiu at the state level (because he is the one that introduced the bill to repeal Costa Hawkins) more than Jane Kim, who is “only” at the city level right now…

David Chiu has his clown fellows from Oakland and Santa Monica. They will most likely fail but how can the voters teach them and other lawmakers a good lesson so that they will never be this foolish again?

Um, Ms. Breed, I don’t want to go out on a limb but if you are really wondering what are the roadblocks to more inlaws being built, two words: rent control

http://www.sfexaminer.com/breed-wants-working-group-speed-construction-laws/