You Want Excellent Chinese Food, Manch?

Anyone tried this? Seems to be an overpriced place for non-Chinese.

Too expensive for this Toisan boy…

Michelin star too!!!

Brandon Jew’s Mister Jiu is very very good. In particular, the quail is delicious. However, given your background, you have to go there w the right frame of mind.

If you are expecting awesome HK Chinese food in a typical banquet setting, then don’t go.

If you can embrace your American identity with Chinese roots, and uplevel the quality of thensource materials (sustainable, etc) and are looking to do so in an environment suitable for entertaining others who are not as familiar with 100 :100: authentic food, then it is fantastic. They are very creative.

TLDR - go there w friends in your generation. Do not go with parents.

1 Like

Ok. One person from my trusted Chinese food panel says go. @harriet what’s your take?

1 Like

… just please go with the right expectations. You are going to a fantastic michelin star restaurant with a Chef who cooks skillfully with Chinese flavors.

You are not going to a Chinese restaurant.

Fusion, not good.

Everything is fusion - its just a matter of how long ago it was fused. Both Singaporean and HK cuisines have fused lots of cusines together.

Never been there so can’t comment on the food, but I just took a peek on their web site - not sure how I feel about a Chinese place with an English only menu.

2 Likes

You can’t think of it as a Chinese restaurant. If you do then you will be disappointed because you will be expecting all kinds of standards that aren’t there. This is doubly exacerbated because many of us have lots of experience with the standards. That’s why this restaurant is not someplace you take your elders to.

You know East Ocean 東海酒家 in Quarry Bay in HK? You know how that place is great for 大閘蟹 and 大閘蟹黃小龍包 and stuff like that? Mr Jiu’s is not that. It is very different.

You have to think of it as a really good Michelin Star restaurant whose Chef cooks with Chinese ingredients and flavors… but its not exactly a Chinese restaurant. Framed in this context, the restaurant is really enjoyable.

1 Like

Hey @aalj,

Did you try Eight Tables yet?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/restaurants/diningout/article/Bauer-on-Eight-Tables-Lavish-decor-but-at-225-12510649.php

@sfdragonboy - no, I’m very reluctant to pay $225 per person for a meal. The last time I paid that much for a meal was a year ago - for my anniversary. I won’t do that again for a few years. Law of diminishing returns and all.

Typically I don’t like paying much more than $40 a person. That means most of my dining out is very inexpensive. I am quite fond of this place:

The fried smelt 多春魚 is really tasty.

As someone who has never been to the restaurant, I am skeptical about the ingredients they mix together. Understand it’s fusion so I’m trying to keep an open mind. For example, they have this sea urchin rice roll and crab+caviar rice roll on their menu.

Let’s pause for a moment and try to imagine the taste.

Personally I don’t think they’d go well together as sea urchin and caviar are not exactly the type of food I’d think about when I am eating cheung fun, but then again it’s probably due to my food stereotype.

1 Like

I think you hit the nail on the head. Those of us that are used to Chinese cuisine are used to the n-th level of perfection – i.e. decades or hundreds of years of iteration — constant iteration to make the mostest, the bestest possible 東坡肉 or 蟹黃魚翅. I typed those dishes in Chinese on purpose ---- because we have a certain association of that dish. If someone said the English equivalent, it just sounds weird. It doesn’t sound so delicious if I typed “red braised pig belly square” (The first dish) or if I typed “shark fin soup flavored with the yellow slurry part of the hairy crab.” Like in English that’s … WTF!!!

However in western cuisine, there’s less of this culture of “n-th level iteration.” Western chefs are more apt to be very imaginative and creative — and so (rhetorically speaking) why is it that we with Chinese-style tastebuds are reluctant to afford this same level of creativity with Chinese style ingredients and flavors? This again is a rhetorical question only.

And from the language perspective, “rice roll with sea urchin” sounds so ugh. But what if it was typed in Chinese? 鮮北海道海膽汁腸粉 — does that sound any better?

That’s why I have a lot of respect for Brandon Jew. He’s unafraid to push the boundaries — I’m sure he gets a lot of flak for pushing boundaries, but the area of town he’s in needs to try something new — and he’s getting a ton of good press for it.

2 Likes

Hahaha…reminds me of these translations :joy:

1 Like

OK, you had me on the night market. Is it still a thing? How many stalls do they have for night time? Do they have more stalls on weekends?

1 Like

Hahaha…reminds me of these translations :joy:

[/quote]

TOTALLY. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: And why is it that seemingly everyone in the mainland uses THAT FONT. You know what font I’m talking about. Especially when its used for, like, “You and Your Family.”

I’m not really sure if they have more than one stall if there’s really even enough room for more than what they already have, but the entirety of the menu is on the website, plus a few specials that they verbally pass on sometimes.

I almost always get the same thing — comfort food. Thin Yellow Noodle soup with Beef Brisket, Beef Tripe, and Beef “Mixed Assortment" (you know what I’m talking about. I’m too lazy to write that in Chinese). Since there is nothing in the US that even comes close to 麥奀雲吞麵 comfort food, this is my next best approximation. The broth is really really good, and if you tell them to be careful with the noodle, they will not overcook it.

My spouse, who is from Taiwan, is less enamored of the place, but my spouse very munch enjoys the 豬手 pig knuckles on noodles and in particular my spouse loves the fried smelt. My 10 year old, who would be the second generation born here in the states, is enamored of 湯河 with Beef Book Tripe and the Beef “Mixed Assortment” and I am very proud of that fact.

Man I am licking my lips reading what you wrote. Ok. I will go! :smile:

1 Like

Enjoy! à votre service, mon ami.

1 Like

The tripe looks pretty good! I haven’t tried the night market yet but my friend did and said the Hainanese chicken was not good, so avoid that if you go.