100K Passive Annual Income

An order of magnitude more. :sob:

1 Like

My ski buddy is a retired dentist and a successful stock investor…doesn’t know real estate…He was bragging about OHI today when I told him to buy XOM…
OHI is like a junk bond fund… too much risk.
Real estate investors don’t need REITS…better to get into a private LLc venture.

Tell your dentist buddy to get on the forum. We have quite a few OHI investors here.

1 Like

Horrible pick. In my ten years I’ve been owning my reit my dividends have never been frozen before. Comes every quarter like clockwork…

1 Like

My dentist buddy knows nothing about RE…It was my way of saying stay away…Chasing yields in REITS is a race to the bottom…I recomend ESS and AVB

It still gives out dividend but won’t hike it this year.

Ok sell them and buy Tencent as well… :laughing:

Just saw that Shell’s dividend yield is even higher than Exxon at 6.2%.

Sounds good, I have BP too…Probably should buy Shell, too…As the world economy grows, oil is a good bet.

Exxon took the biggest hit . BP the least about 10%

Exxon took a big hit, so I bought…Looks like Shell did too.

What is the criteria for passive income?

Passive = No need to do day-to-day, how about regular review?
Need to be sustainable and relatively stable => diversified, right?

Other than index fund, not sure why REITs & other dividend paying stocks qualify since they may not be sustainable :slight_smile: They are passive but may not be sustainable. Notice many dividend paying companies have been cutting or stopping dividend increase (e.g. OHI) or worse stop dividend payment (e.g. PCG, KMP).

2 Likes

How about less than one hour a week? That’s passive enough for me.

1 Like

Investment is an ongoing process, whether it is stock or real estate. One hour per week is too low.

IMO, half hour per day, including reading news (FT or WSJ)…etc, is required. Continuous touch with subject is important.

IMO, do not put everything into OIL alone. Topper is XOM, next is BP…then comes all other oil.

Look out for BA or defense ETF ITA. Since Rep govt favors defense in budget, this is growth field, BA is topper.

Next, I just blindly follow WB, buying TEVA, 4% dividend and it is 50% down from peak. Similarly, SYF (GE financial spin off) and AAPL.

1 Like

Teva: Berkshire Is Barking Up The Wrong Tree

1 Like

Omega Healthcare: Looking For A Dividend Cut In 2019 $OHI

http://www.seekingalpha.com/article/4148537

A very good article on OHI’s problem. I may need to recalibrate.

1 Like

Passive income means dividend, interest, rental income and other investment income. Basically not wages and not a highly taxing business activity.

1 Like

I know what textbook say. I am asking an out-of-the-box question i.e. challenging the textbook’s definition.

The truely passive income is to buy sp500 and let the dividend to be deposited automatically. Never sell and never look at market attentively.

A trust fund would also qualify

Exactly!!!

Why don’t you sell your AAPL and buy sp500 as a 100% passive income? Holding AAPL is still a job of analyzing and monitoring and sweating over its moves.

Your Austin houses are semi passive since you still need to talk to PM and approve or disapprove stuff.

But if you become truly passive, are you going to live like a trust fund baby? :rofl:

Even Fisher is still actively involved in his business and writing marketing pieces to stimulate business activity

1 Like