A 4 Day Work Week? Yes! Yes! Yes!

Sounds good to me. Who usually doesn’t enjoy the shortened week say after a holiday?

I had where you work 9 hours Mon-Thr and get every other Friday off. It was awesome. I’m not sure how it impacts company productivity.

Yes, that is a sweet work schedule option too. Who couldn’t use a Friday off to go and line up at the DMV right???

That sounds very familiar. Sun?

Just report improved productivity :joy:

How about DMV adopts that schedule and closes every other Friday? :smile:

1 Like

Forget that, they need to be open on Sundays (like some banks)!!!

1 Like

No, it was at Ford. I’m not sure if they still do it.

Lazy bums. 5 day workweek is good.

Chevron had a similar schedule. I believe they also had a 4-10 schedule where you work 10 hours Mon-Thurs every week.

2 Likes

That was part of the pilot. The 10 hour days was a huge issue for people with kids where 9 hours was more workable. They also tried 9 hours Mon-Thr and half day on Friday. No one liked that. Commuting in for just a half day was a lot of wasted time.

I got 18 paid holidays, every other Friday off, 3 weeks of vacation, could bank “overtime” for another 2 weeks of vacation, and could buy 2 weeks of vacation through payroll deduction each month. I didn’t feel a need to buy any, since I was already getting 84 days off a year. The issue was they suspending 401k match and froze everyone’s pay. I got 2 unpaid promotions which I only took, since I knew I’d be able to leverage them once I finished my MBA. If they would have come close to market comp after MBA school, I definitely would have stayed. The pay to cost of living ration is great.

1 Like

Did Ford pay for your MBA?

how about just 2 day of work 12 hours(saturday/sunday)
monday-friday will be weekend… we get paid the same right?

1 Like

Yes. I was lucky. I started in August. In January, they cut the tuition reimbursement to zero. They grandfathered people currently in programs and gave us a few years to finish. I was able to finish within the time limit. I had to pay for books, but they paid all the tuition.

2 Likes

Either options make total sense to me. You are already there, so how hard is it to work another hour or two (to get that nice benefit)? I am sure folks who commute far and wide LOVE it since that means one less day of the grind…

“In a survey taken late last year, only 54% of respondents said they felt able to manage their work-life balance. After the trial, that number jumped to 78%.”

If it’s made permanent, it’s possible that employees will adjust their work-life balance to account for the extra day of “life” so over time it would become imbalanced again. During the trial the employees got to spend 3 days for the 2-day “life” they allotted for so of course work-life balance was going to improve.

2 Likes

We can change to 4 day workweek, but for some key functions such as DMV, they should have different shifts so that it can open for 7 days and even for 24 hours.

Some of the stress is due to the fact that you have to do many things during your work hours. It’s better if everything can be done outside of your work hours.

Schools should stay open for long hours, 7-7. Kids can play at school. Mandatory sports, music, tutoring. No kids will have time to do any extracurricular activities or tutoring. Best way to narrow achievement gap and the best way to avoid the need for AA. Parents would be stress free and every kids would get the same education independent of the parent’s financial and mental resources.

Make government online. Simple.

We can work 30 hours a week. Pay is cut 25%, but all benefits are the same. I haven’t met anyone that does it.

1 Like

I know plenty of 80% ers. It’s actually less than 20%, in salary basis. Your first hours are most important, others are less (due to marginal tax brackets). If you think from that view, it’s less than 20%

1 Like