AAPL and Apple

You are missing the key piece: market dominance.

There are only two stores you can sell your phone app: Apple and Google. Imagine a world where every physical store is either a Walmart or Target. Would you feel the same way?

That or they could not even allow third party apps, and you’d only be able to buy their apps. Allowing third party apps is a major win for consumers. The fact there’s some sort of gate to prevent viruses, malware, and other problems is a good thing.

How many app developers have become millionaires because third party apps are allowed? How many unicorns rely on being third party apps to have customers? To pretend this is some how bad for developers and companies who are getting rich off the platform is a joke.

I don’t think anyone has said allowing 3rd party apps is bad. However, market monopoly needs more regulatory oversight to make sure the monopoly power is not abused.

Apple and Google can take down any app for little to no reason, with very little transparency.

I like BABA better. Bought some.

2 Likes

Where were you when it was at $130? But better late than never… :slight_smile:

@hanera, do you have stock certificate like this? It can go premium…
Some one posted that they have it since 2003

I used to think keeping certificates is cool. Until I realized I should’ve turned them over to the brokerage firm and marginalize them for optimal utilization.

2 Likes

Return to school to learn TA. Guess you’re not day trading, otherwise you make much less with BABA.

04%20AM

18%20AM

• Spotify (NYSE:SPOT) files an EU antitrust complaint against Apple claiming the iPhone maker unfairly limits competitors to its Apple Music service.

• Spotify calls out Apple’s 30% App Store charge for content-based service providers to use its in-app purchase system.

• Spotify says it was pressured into using the purchase system in 2014 but had to raise the price of its premium service to account for the difference. The change made Spotify Premium more expensive than Apple Music.

• The rival then dropped out of the billing program, which forced iPhone users to signup through an alternative device. And App Store rules limit Spotify’s ability to advertise promotions.

1 Like

Anticompetitive behavior from a market monopoly. Need to tell warren to hurry up breaking up the bad apple. :smiling_imp:

Spotify is a sore loser. In-app uses Apple Store resources. The App Store works like progressive income tax system, the few popular and profitable apps pay for the rest of the apps. Of course the popular and profitable apps won’t be happy.

3 days ago,

You always tell me don’t rub it in and don’t taunt people though.

Do what I tell you to do, not do what I do :slight_smile:

Double standard! :smile:

• Europe will take Spotify’s (SPOT -0.6%) antitrust complaint against Apple (AAPL +0.6%) seriously, EC competition honcho Margrethe Vestager says.

• “We take any complaint we get very serious, because it takes quite an effort for people to post a complaint,” she tells Bloomberg in an interview. “It takes much more data, much more investment, so obviously we take it seriously. And we will start looking. What we’ll make of it, that of course remains to be seen."

• She also points to the “dual market situation” created by the two companies’ direct competition in music streaming, and what Spotify calls an “untenable” situation with the App Store: "If you’re both the host and the competitor, well then how do you behave when you yourself has gained some status in the market?”

• Vestager has taken a number of hard lines against U.S. companies previously; in 2015, she ordered Apple to repay $15B in taxes to Ireland.

Need to fine the bad apple 100B. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Spotify on Apple’s Response to App Store Dispute: ‘Every Monopolist Will Suggest They Have Done Nothing Wrong’

@manch blindly side with David. SPOT is exploiting the legal system to increase their revenue and reduce expenses. First force bigger cut from artists and now want to pay less for hosting/distribution.