Addition vs. Buy with sq footage

Do so much :slight_smile: I changed the ok roof, the perfectly ok Anderson windows to Marvin :slight_smile: and repaint the primary in 2009. I wanted to add square footage but casual talks with neighbors, they don’t seem to be too happy, killed the idea, don’t need the space anyway, just want to be grand :slight_smile:

This means I can fairly assume that whole house tear down and build single story 4000 sqft home can be made by experienced builder at around $200/sqft - $225/sqft, i.e. it can be done by max 1M level.

This is just for my estimate purpose.

1 Like

Price is low. Build with value engineering. But don’t skimp on finishes. You will shoot yourself in the foot. Use highend windows roofing siding appliances, flooring tile granite cabinets. Otherwise people will think you skimped on everything

2 Likes

No more granite!!!

I plan not to :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think your price is perhaps a bit on the low side.

Here’s a data point — I totally gutted a house in SF in 2009 — the depths of the great recession. I gutted it, added a moment frame, and totally rebuilt it. 3300 sq ft. $303 / sq. ft. is what I paid — not including architecture / permit fees. All the finishes were supplied by me - Appliances from ebay and ABT, and I bought all the tile, paint, counters, cabinets, electrical switches, recessed lighting, boiler, heating systems, sinks, tubs, faucets, etc. I also pulled all the low voltage cable (data) myself and terminated all the light switches and electrical outlets.

$303 in 2009… its probably quite a bit more 10 years on… at least $350 /sq ft is my guess.

4 Likes

Price is indeed low. I got tradesmen who came from Turlock or Gilroy for some of the work. I sourced a lot of the finishes myself - milgard double pane, skylights, better shingles from home depot, etc. I havent gotten to the kitchen yet - but that will be premium granite and good cabinets. I cant believe how expensive paint has become - I mustve paid 750-1000 for Behr premium for the whole house inside.
5" Baseboards (which i think are really flimsy - cost 70$ for a pack of 12 !
Ive been using Lowes coupons from ebay to reduce costs.

3 Likes

Marble has replaced granite…But it is not nearly as durable…I guess quartz is the latest stone du jour…Not building anymore…dont care…

1 Like

:slight_smile: Quartz is in fashion now but it has already been “in” for a least 10 years. I don’t know what replaces quartz…

1 Like

Granite is still hot.

55%20PM

1 Like

In super high end homes they use Carrara white marble on kitchen counters…won’t hold up…Besides it is the kind of marble used in urinals in the old days…Not my cup of tea…

Butcher block is a maintenance nightmare…I still like granite

Prefer the solid plastics. Less likely to chip, crack and take stress better. Only question is how they take heat. And less likely to break teeth or cups when the kid bumps their chins or drop my china.

You mean Corian?

1 Like

Excellent ! It really helps me to know current pricing.

Yes! thank you. I couldn’t remember the brand name.

Lumber cost doubled. Is that why? Most of cost is still labor.

It’s probably the reason why you see the commercial builders bringing skilled labor from other parts of the country. I saw several Georgia plates working on Apple campus when they were in construction.

1 Like

Right, when I did my Sunset home in 2003-4 I was already using engineered stone (Cambria). Came out nice. The peninsula piece was so large and wide that it took 5 guys to haul it in.

2 Likes