Alameda City

How is alameda city for investment, decent schools, rental market and close proximity to the city.

I just did a hard money loan in Alameda…very bullish on Alameda

1 Like

Alameda is nice. I had an uncle who lived on Bay Farm Island and several coworkers lived on the newer side. Homes were pricey even back then. As you can imagine, commuting off and to Alameda can be challenging at times but I knew people who ferry over to SF for work.

I grew up in Alameda and lived there for 20+ years. I moved away ~2 years ago.

You have options for commuting to SF. There are 2 Ferry terminals, plenty of transbay buses, or you can drive to Fruitvale or Lake Merritt Bart stations. You will definitely encounter traffic getting out of Alameda in the morning and traffic getting back in during evening time.

The schools on the east end of Alameda island/Bay Farm are definitely more desirable. But I think overall the schools are pretty good district wide. Even in “less desirable” areas, many of my good friends thrived and went to to do well (perhaps parenting)…

The west end has been changing rapidly over the past 4 or 5 years. There are so many new/recently completed developments (new retail/restaurants) and new housing on that side now. 10 years ago, the west end was dead.

As a place to live/grow up, Alameda was/is great. I love this little city!

It’s not cheap but everywhere is expensive too…If you’re long term investing/ holding, you’ll likely do well over time!

My sister and her family lives there. It’s a great area but it’s definitely getting up there in price. Good weather, good schools, very family oriented vibe. Commuting’s a bit tough though.

Yes, just temporary, but illustrates how sometimes problematic with getting in/out of Alameda…

Aerospace company Astra seeks major expansion at Alameda Point

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/news/2021/10/07/astra-space-alameda-point-expansion.html

Astra Space Inc. is seeking to lease an additional 130,000 square feet at Alameda Point, which has housed its headquarters since 2017.

The rocket research and development company (NASDAQ: ASTR) wants to lease a 20,000-square-foot facility known as Building 372 for engine testing, more than doubling its testing space, and 108,274 square feet at 1900 Skyhawk St.

The company already leases 116,050 square feet at Alameda Point, a former naval air station, including 1900 Skyhawk. The U.S. Navy and the city both own portions of the base.

The expansion appears to be part of a larger bid to expand Astra’s Alameda factory to 350,000 square feet, a goal mentioned in the company’s second-quarter financial report this year. The company’s stock began trading on the Nasdaq following a merger with a special purpose acquisition company in July.

Astra’s employee base has grown from 100 in January 2021 to 250, according to a report by Alameda Planning Director Andrew Thomas. The company expects to add as many as 100 more jobs this year; that number could become 250 if it is given the green light for expansion .

The people are not gonna be happy about tunnel traffic!

But I’m all for it, build baby build.

1 Like