Alternative to 1031

Has anyone tried this strategy, called Deferred Sales Trusts?

https://mailchi.mp/31051856d4ce/azv34gz14j

3 Likes

I have not used it. May be, good to know and research further as this says " In other words at day 46 or day 181 the funds from the intermediary can be sent to DST and therefore the capital is tax-deferred, providing extra peace of mind in case your up leg does not work out or the seller or lender will not deal."

If this can be done, it is very useful trust.

1 Like

This looks great

Looks like some sort of future installment scheme, and based on what i am reading, the final sale needs to be cash(not sure why?). If you wanna invest into another property with the proceeds, doesn’t look like it’d do?

I was told you can invest in anything. But it would be in their name. You would become the lender. Taking out proceeds is taxable. But my plan is to defer withdrawals until after I die. Then it is not taxable up to inheritance limits. To me this is a wealth builder plan not a cash flow instrument. The real concern is the reliability of the facilitator.

3 Likes

Anybody done this ?

1 Like

I read this kip-linger post, excellent esp when you have big appreciation and would like to withdraw long years to pay less tax !

When I reach that retirement period, I would definitely review/consider this option.I save this as pdf document already. This is one of the best tax savings avenue, but that reduces from higher bracket to lower tax bracket, but not wipes out entirely.

In addition, you moved to Nevada which is also tax saver.

Alternative solution is get as much as mortgages possible to file tax loss. I do that always and accumulate tax loss (like cash out refi etc). Use those cash in real estate or investments. My real growth every year, last 5 years, is between 18%-27% and this year is 22.5% within first 5 months. When you sell one property, for me as passive income property, the profit wipes off entire loss I accumulated so far.

I do not mind about higher interest rate for fixed mortgage as this secures me and makes it tax loss. As long as lenders are giving me loan and as long as I am working, I keep taking mortgages as much as I can.

@Elt1 did you look into this more?

Is this different from Delaware Statutory Trusts? Both with acronym of DST

Yes different. Deferred trusts charge a set up fee of 1% or more and an annual fee of 1-1.5%z. My wife with an MBA and being cheap said no way. But in a busted 1031 it might be better than paying taxes

do you need a custodian, or can you figure it out yourself? your wife with an mba might be able to figure it out, no?

She might. But the whole idea is the money can not be touched by you or your relatives . Send her money and she will figure out…lol

i mean, once you have financial independency, and you don’t need to touch your assets… heirs get stepped up basis anyway to defer it up to 5Mish, right?

I agree. Just don’t know if I trust the trust. And don’t like the fees.

1 Like

If heirs are getting at stepped up basis, this trust is not required as they get it by default with normal trust creation.

IIRC, Second Trump tax changes increased from 5M to 10M range

Just finished meeting with Bret founde of what @Elt1 had suggested .

The fees are little high :frowning:

@Elt1 : you think you can set this up by yourselves ? My friends are selling their business for about 12M and we are trying to set this up

Can you exchange businesses to real estate? Your friend can easily buy some houses and apartments

Send me a private message