Americans are flocking to Dallas, Houston, Miami, Austin, and SF

Infrastructure usually lag behind population growth. Faster growth needs better infrastructure and better infrastructure leads to faster growth.

Design of city can’t be changed because of rule of law :scream: and property rights :wink:. So just have to live with it.

There are plenty of land owned by filthy rich boomers. Government can’t force them to sell and buy them cheap forcefully because of property rights. Since USA is built on property rights, just live with it. Can’t have the cake and eat it too.

I am an YIMBY and all for building more housing. At the same time I don’t think we should be in the business of protecting people who just happened to live here before others, be they renters or property owners. There is no contradiction between the two.

There are baby steps to make existing transit more efficient, like building higher density housing next to major transit routes. Even those got blocked in legislature.

That’s the appropriate thinking when your ancestors grab land cheap from natives. After grabbing the land, changing to NIMBYISM is the right thinking.

Mass transit only works with high density like in downtown SF. 95% of the BA is not dense enough for mass transit to work.

3 Likes

Here in San Jose, a branch of light rail is being shut down because of no usage. What a colossal waste of public money. I wish they do the same to the rest.
https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2019/04/11-san-jose-to-close-light-rail-branch

1 Like

Round Rock is a Northern suburb of Austin. The hottest part of round rock is West Round Rock, 78681, where the good schools are.

New Braunfels is a south suburb of Austin. Nearby city San Marcos is very hot too.

@manch These are evidences, ignore at your perils🙄

1 Like

Why are the Colorado cities (Greeley, Longmont) in the article booming? They aren’t exactly close to Denver like the Austin suburbs you mentioned

Schools so good they can’t beat lowly San Francisco and San Jose schools? Not even the best performing schools in here.

I see @manch is considering moving to Austin and each year he didn’t go, he has to rationalize his decision. Schools are not just high schools, told you before which are the top high schools in Austin. Elementary and middle schools are pretty good in 78681,

Cactus Ranch Elementary School
Fern Bluff Elementary School
Chandler Oaks Elementary School
James Garland Walsh Middle School
Cedar Valley Middle School

@manch is 鸡蛋里挑骨头

Round Rock High’s average SAT of 1141 is even lower than Antioch High, which isn’t exactly known for its academic excellence. You can buy a house in Antioch for 450K and commute to your old high paying job in SF via BART. :man_shrugging:

Checking whether I am alert or sleeping?
1141 out of 1600 vs 1380 out of 2400?
1141 new SAT is about 1550-1600 old SAT.

1 Like