An Early Look at 2024?

If this map is telling, democrats should go to the beach and enjoy their life in the water

Which grade are the voting students? Elementary or high school? These students and their parents voted differently

1 Like

Clinton won the 21-40 year old vote in 1992. In 2016, those people were 45-64 and Trump won their vote. It’s the same group of people, and they went from democrat to republican as they aged. It exactly proves what you say doesn’t exist.

Did you forget Perot? Would you say Perot is a liberal?

If you count Clinton votes as liberal, and Bush + Perot as conservative, people in all age groups were voting for conservatives in 1992, with the exception of “Over 65”. In that age group the liberal and conservative vote shares are the same.

Another interesting thing about the charts is that the Clinton and Bush/Obama cohorts are much more partisan than generations in the past. They lean strongly democratic. Data is only up to 2010 though. Would be very interesting to see more recent data.

2024? Already give up on 2020?

After 8 years, it’s natural to have the second party winning. Question is what kind of the party the second party has evolved in 8 years in order to win

I guess the second party would spend its time to fine tune itself. Also candidates from different shades will compete and the voters will make a decision during primary.

Clinton won young voters in 1996 too. He actually carried a majority of young voters even with Perot on the ticket. Now that those voters are older, they are voting republican.

You can go 2008 when Obama won 66% of 18-29. Clinton only won 51% of 30-44 which most of those people are now. That’s a huge drop. Hillary only won 55% of 18-29. Gary Johnson won 9% of 18-29 which was his best showing in any age group. Young voters are most likely to embrace a third party candidate. Look at how they love Bernie.

Also, 2016 had Gary Johnson who pulled from Republican votes.

The Democratic machine is running left… And the Republican base is running right… Bill Clinton of 20 years ago would be considered Republican by Bernie supporters… The partys have abandoned the middle… Maybe only a third party can represent the middle which is probably 40% with 30% on each extreme

1 Like

That’s an interesting thought. Trump is hated by both parties, is Trumpism the pseudo 3rd party?

2 Likes

Trump is a false profit… But he was a hell of a better campaigner than Perot… He deeply understood the hatred and distrust of government and the 2 existing parties… Sonething Hillary truly does not understand due to her own paranoia… she just blames everything else for her loss…I don’t think the American public has ever gotten over its distrust of government and politics due all the lies told during the Vietnam war…
I am watching Ken Burns Vietnam… Study that era and you wil understand current politics

1 Like

Interesting. I think there was something on CNN about how the distrust towards the Gov started with Nixon and the Vietnam War. This period shaped a generation’s views on politics…

As to the last election… along with increased polarization along party lines, the last election showed a growing split between urban and suburban/rural populations’ voting results. The scales are tilted to the Republican side in the suburban/rural areas and Democratic voting power gets diluted in urban areas.

With more people now migrating to lower cost areas, I don’t see the trend following the chart manch posted back in Nov. There is a large segment of people left unaddressed in policy-making (both D and R) and I think if the traditional parties do not open up to face this an independent party will fill the void.

The defining moment in my life was the assination of JFK… He lied about the Vietnam war just like Truman and Eisenhauer… But he was replaced by Johnson who was a ruthless infighting politician. America lost its innocence with Kennedys death. my life and the country has never been the same since

As the Pentagon Papers revealed Johnson knew we couldn’t win but prosecuted the war anyway…Basically he sacrificed millions to save face… Too look tough against the world… With no end game … no exit strategy… He died before the war ended… And Nixon was impeached… 1963-1975 was the darkest time in American history except for the Civil War… It is also the time I grew up… i feel cheated by history

1 Like

Is that so? Wouldn’t have guessed based on your historical posts (but perhaps beneath a glossy veneer lies a devasted soul :slightly_smiling_face:). . Personally I was oblivious to politics growing up but luckily I didn’t have the threat of being drafted into a war looming over me, especially one which so many opposed.

Trump has made a mockery of the US presidency… one can only hope that the youths are smarter today and will not place much value in his words.

I think Johnson and Nixon beat Trump to the punch…They were responsible for millions of dead Vietnamese and Americans… all for nothing… Today’s troubles are child’s play… I remember gas lines, massive inflation, race riots… Assinations, world chaos… I survived fine… Thankfully Nixon ended the draft the day I was scheduled to go in… Millennials have nothing to whine about.

Everyone should watch Ken Burns Vietnam series…
A lot of the issues today were ignited in those days. A war that lasted longer than any before and we lost… America has never recovered especially compared to Vietnams recovery

The Vietnam war proved that the US government could not be trusted. Funny how liberals love to freely give up their rights to government control… And yet it was two Democratic presidents that lied and dragged us into a disastrous war… People on this forum are too young to remember this… But since the 60s Americans don’t trust their government … I will never trust government… It is not in Government’s interest to tell the truth or to support its citizens… Governments only concern is self preservation and increasing its ever growing power…Even the police are allowed to lie in interrogations … There is no requirement that government officials have to tell the truth… This applies to global warming, Iraq, foreign wars, taxes, race relations and anything else in politics…

1 Like

Government is a monopoly and it dominates the government-citizen relationship. Such an absolute dominance will inevitably result in abuse. Lying is not the worst thing a government can do. Hitler’s government did much worse than lying.

It’s always a good idea to keep the government at a minimal size. anti Trump people are feeling fortunate that our government is much bigger than its current size. If our government is much smaller, no one will care that much about Trump

1 Like

I trust them time and again. I don’t pay taxes to a government I don’t trust… :rofl:

It’s like a marriage. When trust is gone everything else turns to shit… America has never recovered from the Vietnam war caused shit storm of lies and decisiveness

1 Like

I think we may finally break the 2 party stranglehold that his country is under. People love to think the 2 parties are polar opposite. Verbally, they are very opposite. In actions, they aren’t very different. People think Bush and Obama are complete opposites. They had mostly the same list of major donors. Bush was the evil war monger while Obama bombed more countries and used more bombs. That doesn’t seem very opposite. It’s actually more of the same.

Obama had a bunch of Goldman Sachs people on his staff too, but he’d publicly make comments about “fat cat bankers”. Everyone thought he was anti big bank, but after the financial crisis the big banks are bigger than ever. Many small banks were forced into being acquired by the biggest banks. The banking system is more concentrated than ever. Yet people think Obama was anti big business and anti bank.

People think Obama was for the middle class and poor yet the wealth divide accelerated during his presidency. He talked a good game about the rich needing to pay their fair share. Yet middle class and poor people incomes were stagnant while the stock market hit record highs. 80% of stocks are held by the top 10%, so they all got rich under Obama. How’d the other 90% do? QE was supposed to help everyone. Instead, it inflated asset values. The top 10% saw their net worth sky rocket while everyone else got nothing.

They act different but actually do the same trick. That why it’s predictable and can be trusted. People don’t like unpredictability.

1 Like

Do you have a choice on tax payment? Trump has not made tax payment voluntary yet

If you vote for me, you may get it though. Tax will be voluntary and the government will operate based on voluntary donations each year

1 Like