Another "Why I'm leaving CA"

16% tax on the top? Holy cow. And no longer deductible by Trump’s tax changes…

1 Like

If all these emigrants leaving California vote the same people (assuming dems) whom they were voting in CA, the liberal dream of converting state like Texas blue will come much sooner.

1 Like

California, where bad governance has turned a would-be paradise into a burgeoning dystopia.

@Jil, @manch, @erth,

When are you guys leaving?

1 Like

Moving out will not solve the problem because if you end up with the same kind of people somewhere else you will still be dealing with same problem. I think CA does need some help and abandoning it at this time will not make it better.

1 Like

I wonder how many of them end up in states that match their politics anyways. I find it hard to believe a liberal Californian would last long in Texas.

I was going through the readers comment. Found this one. Deleted some parts for brevity:

jlowell
1 day ago

Silver lining for me is maybe coastal real estate will be affordable enough for to get that beach house. So looks like I’ll continue to fight for the CA I love.

1 Like

As long as you live on a cliff and don’t have to worry about homeless trash piles.

Vast majority of people are not triggered by state politics. They just want good jobs and a good life. Extremely few people move out because of politics.

And politics changes all the time. Until 20 years ago CA was a R stronghold. Nixon and Reagan came from California. Texas is about 25 to 30 years behind California. I expect Texas to turn blue within the next 10 years. College grads vote D by a 2 to 1 margin. And I heard Texas has been attracting college graduates to its big cities. Austin is San Francisco of the South.

2 Likes

This is not a true statement. Vast majority of people are affected too, sooner or later, but in a different way. Some people are more sensitive and conscious. Some are less. But, the pocket book matters affect the people at lower rugs of society most. If rich and business owners quit leaving smaller tax base, the free loaders and welfare dependents will be the most affected. California is already running huge budget deficit. It will be fun to watch California politics for next few years. People dependent upon taxes, like public sector employees and unions will revolt if they see cut in the benefits.

3 Likes

I disagree as well. State politics affect families a tremendous amount especially with regards to school regulations and laws as well as homeowning and taxes. When the state tries to take away parental rights in school and at home and then raises taxes, families move. The people who drag their feet the most are those with extended family here.

3 Likes

Exploit this knowledge and invest in Austin MSA now! Accelerating double digital appreciation from… :roll_eyes: At present, many zip codes e.g. 78727, have annual appreciation of 7-8%… soon would be double digitals over 5-10 years? according to your CA experience, right?

1 Like

This rate of appreciation is already more than the rate I have used as my benchmark for SFBA.

Based on rentals that I own,

Annualized appreciation (using Redfin),
78759 7.8%
78727 7.7-8.4%
78660 (Pflugerville) 4.9-6.6%
78613 (Cedar Park) 7.3%

Seems like you timed your rentals pretty well. Now you just have to reap the rents.

1 Like

As far as I know, there is no thought process, staying here. If there is some move, I may go to some nice coastal cities like Santa Cruz or Monterey Bay or Tiburun…etc

One thing I can assure you that Texas is 100% ruled out for me, as I like this California SFBA coast climate.

2 Likes

Well - at least on one side of the house. Unless you’re suggesting giving those homeless a little “push” to move on :slight_smile:

You can get a nice climate in AZ if you just pick the right elevation - it goes to over 10,000 ft. And though I miss the Redwoods and the coast some I can do without the smokey air which now seems to be a late summer and fall given. BTW - I have decades of memories from passing through the visitor center at Portola State Park and hiking through the Cascade Ranch. Neither exist anymore. Glad I took off and wasn’t there to see them go first hand. Also glad that in the 90’s I, um, “salvaged” some relics from the 1930’s out of logger’s cabins on Butano Ridge. If I’d left them there they would’t exist anymore either. Just glad Montara Mtn didn’t burn - I have a deep emotional attachement to that place. As I read the article, “thanks for the memories” resonates. Not sure if what’s left of Chuck Taylor’s Mountain Camp up Gazos Creek Rd survived; I was a camper there in '74 and '75.

1 Like

I spent last week of 2018 in GC/Page/Sedona/Phoenix area. Northern Arizona is cool provided one has some decent income stream.

1 Like

Well yeah - but at least you don’t need a Bay Area income stream to have a nice standard of living. And if you want to build your own dream home the cities and counties will actually let you and with far less expense and hassle. They think it’s nice when someone wants to build a home - and they’re there to help. What a concept.

3 Likes

Actually, I did like Sedona and neighboring Campe Verde (If i still recall the name of the town correctly). These places do not even have the desert like feel of Phoenix. I was told that lot of rich people have their second homes in Sedona. Flagstaff is another town with nice elevation. I saw lot of new commercial construction in Page. I think the popularity of horse shoe bend over social media has made Page a must visit town.

1 Like