Apparently only your genes matter, not your upbringing

Unwilling to work population? What’s the solution for people who are simply unwilling to work and only want to enjoy their life?

Other than marrying a hard working spouse or being adopted by a rich parent, what’s their choice in this lovely world?

1 Like

Right. Everyone’s got to work unless they’re unable to. Even rich parents and hard working spouses make their kids/spouse pull their weight.

“Life is pain your highness. Anyone who tells you otherwise is selling you something.”

Live in America and on welfare. No need to be rich. Government can pay for all your basic needs.

Please don’t encourage more illegalundocumented immigrants here.

1 Like

Undocumented immigrants can’t live on welfare. Only true American citizens can.

1 Like

California or USA?

1 Like

Just for the clarification on my early comment on this matter.
I don’t think raising future generations is of lower contributions than outshining the men.
However, everyone has something he/she is very good at and being a woman doesn’t necessarily mean that you are best at raising kids.

In my case, I felt like I became incapable and inefficient when I quit my job to raise my older one for a while.
I didn’t have good skill sets and/or temperaments (such as patience) to be a wonderful mother and a person who does household chores for family.
As a result, I struggled a lot feeling very incapable and inefficient.
At the same time, I know I can be much more efficient as an engineer and enjoy that job a lot.
Therefore, I asked my husband to take the burden of parenting half and half while we share the financial burden as well. He happily agreed on it, and so far so good.
When I said “success”, it is more like “feeling of achievement in the area where the person wants to pursuit his/her dream”. Whether that is parenting/engineering/art/investing doesn’t matter. What matters is whether or not the individual feels happy and fulfilled while he/she is doing so. It really depends on the individual and everyone should feel comfortable in pursuing his/her own desire and dream without feeling guilty. As a society, I guess we should encourage “pursuit of happiness” of individual person no matter what it is (unless it is harmful to others).

1 Like

Why you want to work and stress yourself out reporting to a boss when you can just sit at home and play with children.

1 Like

Being a parent is one of the hardest jobs to do. I hear you on how you feel. But if we really want to encourage everyone to pursue their happiness or their calling, the question might be how to level the playing field for those who want to be mothers but who don’t get paid to do it.

I’m not saying that everyone should have to have kids, but by allowing two incomes (rather than the highest income of a family) to count towards a mortgage, it puts stay-at-home mothers at a VERY significant disadvantage for getting housing in neighborhoods with good schools. Essentially having more kids means living in a worse neighborhood with worse schools.

Housing prices are entirely demand driven, and they’re driven by the highest bidder. So if you keep getting outbid by dual income earners, you are forced to become a dual income earner.

2 Likes

In that case, I am a total failure. Neither feel happy nor fulfilled. I do what I need to do. I am driven by duty rather than whether I am happy or fulfilled or sufficiently competent to do the tasks.
马死落地行

:+1:

:+1:

2 Likes

You can ditch your wife and sons and go to Vegas hire 10 call ladies and call it a night.

PS: From the Government’s point of view, happiness is not defined by individual desires. There are priorities to keep a healthy economy and society, one of which is to encourage a sufficient woking population to pay for social security and to take care of the elderly. The US can certainly make up for the lack of citizen’s kids with immigration, but it’s best not to have a sudden decline because it takes multiple generations for the immigrants to assimilate. This is of course assuming that we want the future of the US to look like it does now, not like Pakistan or Afghanistan.

Obviously you have no idea how much work goes into raising children.

1 Like

You can always hire a nanny and stop worrying about whether they can study algebra in 4th grade.

It’s not hard to get papers. Also, once they have kids who are citizens they qualify for benefits.

You are actively investing in stocks and real estate and spend time in doing analysis/research/etc.
Isn’t it something you enjoy?
IMHO, happiness comes with gratitude toward life and gratitude is something one should consciously practice to feel.

No. I prefer to startup, and build an unicorn or do deep research of certain technology just like a PhD. With family commitment, can’t do and have to settle for time fillers. Just because I talk about it often on forum, appear to spend a lot of time on it, doesn’t imply I like to do them.

I see.
I guess it’s not too late to pursue your dream? :slight_smile:

1 Like

My manager is a nice person and easy to work with. :slight_smile:
My work is certainly interesting to me.

2 Likes

Came across a 2018 documentary called “Three Identical Strangers” - it’s about a set of triplets that got separated at birth on purpose for a nature vs nurture study in the '60s. Pretty interesting.