Apple Spending 1 Billion to Expand Site in Austin TX

Curious, if you were to buy in Austin, what are you buying for? Appreciation? Appreciation / Cashflow combo? I am debating myself on why I should buy more in Austin.

I want to try my hands at multi-fam but the regulatory environment in CA is pretty unpredictable. Besides itā€™s just too expensive. But then @BAJacket said multi-fam is undesirable outside of the Bay Area bubble and tenants are of questionable qualityā€¦ so like you I am still debating.

My instincts is to buy for appreciation. Thatā€™s like a knob you can tune, right? So maybe I can sacrifice a little bit of appreciation and have more cashflow, like instead of 100% appreciation maybe 50-50?

Why are you hesitant on Austin? You donā€™t see much appreciation?

In markets like Austin in Atlanta you have the best of both, cashflowing and the opportunity for appreciation.

1 Like

The reason I initially went for Austin is it is combo Appreciation & Cashflow (probably 50/50 at that time). But now that cashflow is getting tighter, I felt it is more of 80% bet on appreciation and 20% cashflow now, and not sure it is good enough especially if we are already overweight in BA for appreciation and probably in Daly City you can get similar cashflow. I just helped analyzed someone from work for their 4-plex in SW Austin and barely any cashflow if you were conservative (600K price range). I am not sure if there is any better for higher density units. But my 3 yr old investment SFH is appreciated ~8% every yr, so not bad at all.

1 Like

In the end I may just stick to Bay Area. :smile:

If you are into cashflow actually cash-flow for San Francisco itself is not too shabby because the rent is so much higher than say South Bay. Towns like Cupertino has really atrocious cashflow. An 800K townhouse can be rented for 3 to 3.5K in SF. Itā€™s still heavily tilted towards appreciation no doubt but itā€™s not as out of whack as South Bay.

I also like Daly City and San Leandro. Northern edges of Fremont around Dumbarton may have already gotten too expensive.

How do you feel about EPA?

1 Like

Fremont & South Bay rents are not as strong as Peninsula. I donā€™t know much about San Leandro, maybe with the right price there might still be value. For EPA, I felt like we missed good rent / price ratio already. But it is well situated for future growth but I am also worried about the places that are either investment properties and lower income home owner, since those are the first one to drop.

2 Likes

If Iā€™m not wrong, FB has branches in downtown, Bee Cave, the domain and arboretum. Plan your next move!

How can you be promoted to the C-suite if you donā€™t rub shoulders with Mark and Sheryl everyday?

When you know you canā€™t be promoted to C-suite, move elsewhere like Atlanta and Austin where FB or Google has offices. Nearly same pay, cheaper cost of living.

I plan to visit Austin sometime. Which month will you be in Austin?

Planning to be there from Sepā€¦ That is the expected date of completion of the new house. Canā€™t be there with no house to stay.

You plan to visit Austin in September? Thatā€™s a long way out

Invite the whole forum to stay in your big mansion? :house_with_garden:

1 Like