Austin Real Estate

Their presence in SF has been getting smaller every year. Most of their staff is already in Denver area. It has been ongoing transition for more than half decade.

1 Like

Believe many companies are considering or doing the same thing.

Austin is recession proof.

Global reputation, soaring population could make Austin recession-proof

Difficult to be a landlord in Austin. Not enough inventory for purchase and too many rentals. Have to pay higher for house, pay higher property tax but can’t get good rent. Can some of you investors go somewhere else :sob:

Then go find your next Austin… or sit still and count your money…

Still plenty of deals on Sacramento MSA and Reno. Rents and demand going up and housing starts restricted.

1 Like

@Elt1 - what area in Sacramento are you targeting. Have been looking at Roseville and other suburb but can’t find deals which break evens with 30% down. If you do not mind, can you share sample deals.

Thanks for the update. What a proforma statement for a rental in Austin looks like?
How much is left after paying property taxes, insurance, property management, vacancy factor, and maintenance factor?

I have answered this type of question before, probably outdated now, so…
zipcode: 78613
Purchase price: $280k in 2018
Rent: $1695 per month
Property tax: $7000 per year
Insurance: $1000 per year
HOA: $600 per year
Property management: 7% rent per month; leasing fee (first time): 70%; Sub renewal: 10%.
Maintenance (est): $500 (so far $85 in 2019)
Vacancy: Usually about 1 month after listing. As short as 1 week for Mar-Jun listing. More than a month for Nov-Dec listing. Hardly has tenant turnover so I am referring to upon purchase.
Rehab: $3000

Data is different for different zip code. For example, can get $2300 rent for zip code 78660.

I just invested in an office building in Folsom.

Is the maintenance allowance on an annual or monthly basis? It looks high for monthly and small for annual. $3000 on rehab. So not much to be expected on maintenance for few years.

How do you like being a distant landlord.? How much do you involve yourself in the management of the property?

Annual. Just my guess. I have one old property (1970s), avg annual maintenance is $1200. And one slightly more than 10 years old property, avg annual maintenance is $900. Since this property is less than 10 years old, I estimate it to be $500 :grinning: , might be too low :slight_smile:

Nothing much except when there is some appliance purchases that are over $500. Cost of rehab is usually accounted for in the purchase price, in Austin you can ask for allowance from seller to account for the repairs and replacement of appliances after the inspection. Some rehab are over $10k.

I spoke to an loanagent yesterday. He told me the Austin market is overpriced for rentals. Dallas gives better cash flows for a given down payment. Although I have a friend who suggest buying in lower income rent markets because of higher cash flow. Anyway. I read about searching property that says to keep these in mind.

1 month rent for Property Management
1 month rent for vacancy factor
1 month rent for maintenance
Property Tax and Insurance (by county rate)
The cash left after paying above should be 1.25 times the payments to amortize loan (aka DSCR).

I do not know if any realistic rental property search will satisfy all of the above condition assuming you want to keep down payment low.

Ditto for BARE :sob: At this point of time, rental probably is not a good investment. DCA purchasing of S&P index is probably the better one.

1 Like

Cedar Park (78613) and Avery Ranch/Brushy Creek (78717) remain very hot! not cooling with winter.

Cedar Park 78613 remains HOT despite Covid-19.

Rent out within two weeks of last day of previous tenants.

1 Like

According to a study by ATTOM Data Solutions, Travis County ranks 457 out of the 483 housing markets surveyed in vulnerability, meaning it is one of the 30 markets expected to be least vulnerable to effects from the coronavirus pandemic.

showings still allowed under the statewide mandate with real estate still deemed essential

Nothing will survive this mess. You advocate continued shut down. Sorry you are part of the problem. If we wait a few months all aspects of the economy will collapse including housing prices everywhere. Who will loan money when all this forbearance nonsense destroys the mortgage industry?

You? Hard money at 10%?