BA landlords, is this normal?

You can go deeper on this issue, say that you can’t rent another apartment because your deposit was retained “illegally” by this dishonest landlord.

“It’s ready, on your way”, seems to me the words of a con man.

A lot don’t. Their riches are their house. They’re lucky to have the roof over their heads. That said, your deposit should’ve gone into a separate bank account. In MA I thought that was mandatory.

Check arrived today. Postmarked late, so technically the 21 rule had been broken. They took out $600 for “repairs”… no receipts or explanations. Oh well. Not worth worrying about

Seems sloppy to be late and expose yourself, and even then not itemize anything, etc.

We consider the issue closed, but I learned quite a bit through the process!

Thanks again everyone

Your landlord is horrible.

Btw did he ask for 2 months? Thought the usual is 1 month.

It happens. In contrast, our new landlord just had a beautiful gift basket (personalized with our name) delivered to our house. She felt bad because we are the first tenants and a few major items were not ready an de had to be fixed, etc

That’s how you do business!!

2 Likes

And our landlords’ gardeners’ just tilled and killed my grass again and butchered the tree again. I swear they’re trying to kill a second tree too.

Sigh. :frowning:

Mom & pop landlording is not a true business just like mom & pop business, is all about relations. I have always view landlording as having someone to take care of my rental while paying me :wink: It is definitely true for my SV rental since it would be handed over to my son. I need the house to be well taken care of :slight_smile:

1 Like

Or rather, @Rent_and_Vent is an excellent tenant. Maybe @Rent_and_Vent can tell us landlords more about himself so we can screen better? :smile:

1 Like

You only have one son? Or the other one get Apple stocks instead?

1 Like

Since when you subscribe to “out of the box” thinking? Allow me to post a picture,

The other son would get the primary. Both houses are of about the same value.

Yes please tell us @Rent_and_Vent! Us landlords want to know :smiley:

I am a landlord myself and was raised right! And I like the Beatles:”Life is very short, and there is no time for fussing and fighting my friend”

1 Like

Not correct.

LL-Tenant is not a fiduciary relationship. LL can spend the deposit any way.

1 Like

Do you landlords pay an interest on the deposit? Is it required by law?

Did rent_and_vent miss his interest payment? :rofl: $90 interest is nowhere as lucrative as $14.4M, but he can still ask for it

1 Like

Interest payment is not required

It varies by city. San Francisco landlords are required to pay an annual interest to their tenant for security deposit. Seems a big hassle for landlords.

I get .001% at my bank . How can SF tell what interest a landlord gets. SF can rot in hell.

1 Like

In Massachusetts, yes, you get interest.