Bay Area home prices soar with suburban boom

I believe is new money, can be either cash or stocks. In addition, I believe he bought points paid by his company.

It just needs to be in any wells fargo account (bank, savings, brokerage, etc). It doesnā€™t have to be new money either, just total before loan process starts.

If stocks account counts thatā€™s not that hard to have 1M total. How long do you need to keep the money at WF?

Exactly. Broker mentioned that it doesnā€™t matter. Just need that amount before the loan and after that, they donā€™t care. I donā€™t remember signing anything for it either.

2 Likes

Most of the big banks are doing this. You usually only need it there until the loan closes. We got 0.25% off a recent refinance with BofA for moving 500k in assets. The thresholds are usually 250k, 500k and 1M for increasing discounts.

They keep changing the discount rates, but yeah, we did it thru wf then with citi - both times got discounts via putting $ in their accounts (cash, stock, 401k etc).

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=280692

When moving $$ out of their bank, they try to give you deals to retain that there (higher interest rates etc). May take couple of phone calls to decline, but otherwise pretty painless.

This still comes back to what youā€™re trying to accomplish:

Are you buying a home for yourself to live in for 5-10 years? Buy.

Are you buying a home to rent out? Flee the state. Seriously with all of the rent control crap trying to be passed and an increase in renters and decrease in owners, why would you want to rent something out? And then thereā€™s what happened to Jilā€“opportunistic lawsuits.

Also, a friend who is buying a second home said she is unable to get insurance. She called 30+ people and got 30+ nos. Only one she didnā€™t call was USAA. Apparently no one is willing to insure CA houses after the wildfire crap. maybe thatā€™ll force our govā€™s hands into sensible land management measuresā€¦or maybe itā€™ll pad CAā€™s pockets since theyā€™re the only ones selling home ownerā€™s insurance now.

1 Like

We got a loan in the same way. Father-in-law put $1M in then took it out after we refinanced.

2%?

Noā€¦ I think itā€™s 3.5% on $1.4M loan. It was last October or so.

I think my husband checked again in June and was told something that wouldnā€™t be much of an improvement, but Iā€™ll ask him to check again.

I heard Refi are off by 1/2 a point from purchase . It would rev interesting to know how much of refi

@cloud Sorry, I think we may be talking apples and oranges. We have a 30 yr fixed. I assume you were looking at the 10/1 ARM rate?

(take .5% off for depositing $1M)

Thatā€™s what I thought and I asked above. He said it was 30 yr fixed.

What amount? I donā€™t think WF can do 2% then. Itā€™s the listed rates -0.5% for having $1M in the bank. Unless maybe heā€™s got some super-low mortgage?

Ahhhhā€¦ Unless heā€™s VA:

30-Year Fixed-Rate VA

It was a 2% 30 tear fixed about 2 months ago

1 Like

The rates listed by the large banks are representative of a pretty typical loan, i.e. 720+ credit, 80% LTV, etc. Itā€™s definitely possible to do better with lower LTV/higher credit. They will also sometimes negotiate. One strategy is to bring them a rate from another bank (e.g. 2.625% 30yr Jumbo purchase from BoFA) and ask if they can beat it. Letā€™s say they go to 2.5%. Then you apply the 0.5% relationship discount and you are at 2%. If you are sneaky you can bring them a rate that already has a relationship discount built in, ask if they will match it and then apply another relationship discount.

1 Like

These good deals are for owner occupied.

Any banks offer similar rates for rental property? Refi :nerd_face: ?