Being your own RE agent?

Judgement is more important than a license.
Here is classic mistake done by a flipper. Bought a house cheap, dumped a bunch of money on cosmetic renovations. Forgot why it was cheap, on the corner of two very busy streets. No privacy, no dock on a land locked water way. Will be lucky to break even.
Look how low the zestimate is. $631k asking $799k
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2177-15th-St-South-Lake-Tahoe-CA-96150/18571839_zpid/

1 Like

Hey @LbJW, I think you meant to respond to the OP. I am with you, leave the big money deals to the experts who can handhold you through…the price of admission (5% maybe if selling) is not worth arguing about.

You offer full price and get a credit back for the commission. Has saved me hundreds of thousands.

Even without an agents license find a buyers agent that will work for 1percent and will kick you back 1.5%.
The listing agent has no incentive to give you any kick back.

5 Likes

That was my thought as well–the cash would come in handy up front.

We’re working with Redfin, but the kickback has gone down significantly. I think it’s $10K now for a BA house instead of $15K.

Agents have E&O insurance. So unless you are actively trying to screw people you should be fine. How often do you see agents getting sued? Not often I would say. Also the broker may get sued instead of the agent because brokers have more responsibilities and more money.

1 Like

You are much better off with an independent broker, they will go for a 1percent commission, especially if you find the property…

2 Likes

@manch What is the price to keep you RE license active ?

Around 1k a year.

2 Likes