Best High Schools in CA

They went to an above average HS. Definitely not in the top 10 in South bay.

3 Likes

Darn it. Need to rethink my school strategy.

1 Like

OOOOF!

So here’s the criteria. How’re you going to game the system now?

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/counselors/freshman/comprehensive-review/

1 Like

For a kid who’s good but not in the top 9% of a highly competitive school like Gunn or Lynbrook, they would be better off in a less competitive school like Carlmont or Aragon. School can’t be too bad either or the kids don’t have as good opportunities or end up making bad friends.

Damn it’s a tough balancing act. I guess PA and CU are out of the running for me.

UC is a trend setter. I expect many schools will follow suit.

2 Likes

Maybe, but people also think CA is crazy. Some colleges will probably be happy to watch and see what happens.

Interestingly, MIT will likely not abandon the scores. They feel that it is a good predictor of later work to be given a task and have to study and perform well on it.

MIT and Caltech are hardcore. They won’t abandon standardized tests. But what about Michigan and Washington for example? These state schools have great engineering programs. Didn’t Harvard get rid of SAT as well?

“Students of Color, minus Asian”.

:rofl:

2 Likes

Real question: Is that a compliment for Asians? That you’re in the same bucket as “white people”?

Asians are alt-white.

:thinking:

2 Likes

Asians (excluding S Asians) are white, a little pale and sickly though.

I was checking the Berkeley 2020 admission data:

Admission rate for Cupertino schools absolutely plummeted!

Lynbrook 2019: 29.8% 2020: 8.8% !!
Monta Vista 2019: 16.2% 2020: 11.0% !!

Gunn and Paly also saw big drop.

The movement is to admit more people of color. Is why they want to do away with the SAT and ACT scores. Is also why they want to cap the number of admission per high school.

1 Like

Could have big consequences for CU RE.

2 Likes

There is a bigger issue here.

After enough people of color graduated, they would increase the blasting of tech companies not employing people of color that is representative of graduate percentage. The ultimate outcome is quality of products from tech companies would plummet and China would lead without trying. Tech stocks would plummet and our NW and RE would plummet… time to get out and buy China stocks. Wait… buy Singapore stocks like SE and AGC :slight_smile:

1 Like

Los Altos & Irvington (Fremont) seems to be going up. Seems like Irvington is still the best value based on this data. Also, Fremont schools have the highest enroll based on the acceptance too.

Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 4.03.19 PM

1 Like

Since I got too much free time on Monday evening - 2015 vs 2020

3 Likes

Haha. I too made spreadsheets from the data. I also collected data for Asian acceptance rate and for UCLA, another top UC school.

That could mean kids don’t have any better choice. Berkeley is the best option for them.

1 Like

It would be interesting to look at % admitted on the basis of total senior class size rather than number of students applying.

For example, Nueva has a class size of ~75 and 15 students admitted → 20% of class
Gunn has a class size of ~500 students and 30 admitted → 6% of class

Guidance counselors often actively discourage students from applying if they feel they won’t be competitive. Sometimes top students are also discouraged from applying from mid-tier schools if they’re not their top choice.

2 Likes

Thats my conclusion as well but doesn’t help for those students who doesn’t get admitted.

Yeah thinking the same too.