Best Investment Strategy

I used to think pretty negatively of options. I changed my mind while reading that options strategy book. But so far I stick to buying LEAPS calls.

Speaking of LEAPS I was surprised to see Jun 2020 options for FB today. I looked around a little bit but didn’t see Jun 20 for AAPL, MU and AMZN. I thought LEAPS are only for Jan? What’s up?

You need a pair of glasses.

1 Like

Ok. Did it just come out tonight? :smile:

Since when they started offering June LEAPS?

Seem quite recent. 2017 :slight_smile:

This is so interesting! I just love that he has a perspective that I haven’t heard before. I feel like I’ve read so much of the usual stuff (buy tracker funds, dca in, and then soros’ stuff on reflexivity) and this is something different.

I do think that real money can he made by bets and speculation, and putting 10% in options feels like one form of that.

Angel investing is also speculation in another form. Generally people only put a small % of their capital in it (though they usually wouldn’t go so far as to only hold treasury bills with the rest.)

1 Like

Huh? Discover new continent?

That part of the book was written when Treasury Bills yielded north of 5%. One reason why I said muni and corp bonds instead of Treasuries.

You can substitute other “safe” investment in lieu of Treasuries.

With the options part, if you are bullish you can buy SP500 calls, or puts if you are bearish. Buy relatively deep in the money and risks are really moderate. Of course returns may not as spectacular either.

That’s news to me too! :smile:

2 Likes

Actually is well documented that wealthy guys invest safely (bonds, treasuries, muni, etc) and only 10% risk on. You have yet to read sufficiently widely. I eat salt more than you eat rice, is hard for you to surprise me with new info/ insights :wink:

Ah okay that makes sense now I know it was 5%.

I am really interested in trying this! Maybe with just 1% of my portfolio and see how it goes.

I think everyone has their own investment style that they’re best at. It’s like playing tennis! Some players hit big and aggressive, and make a lot of unforced errors. Some players are more steady. What works for one person won’t necessarily work for someone else.

2 Likes

Right. Finding the strategy that fits one’s psychology is extremely important. Must have a cool head all the time. I won’t do anything that bothers me. And I always sleep like a baby. :baby:

2 Likes
  1. Don’t eat too much salt. Not healthy.
  2. Time to share more of your salty knowledge.

Wb wrote his own price for the options. He didnt buy at market price. Your average investor js lazy, stupid, and trigger happy sometimes. He is not.

WB borrows too. So don’t let his folky talk fools you. Insurance float is nothing but liability to the company.

I don’t play tennis. I play Xiang Qi 象棋
Most aggressive opening = Opposite direction cannon 列手炮
Most defensive opening = Flying Elephant 飞相

1 Like

Need to re-balance the portfolio periodically.

2 Likes

Read and don’t think again :wink:
Did the article assumes the portfolio is held in a tax sheltered account :slight_smile: ?

Didn’t mention taxes, so assume it’s taxable.

This is what insurance companies play with all day long.

New to him though :slight_smile: New toilet smells aromatic.

1 Like

Insurance companies put 10% of their float in options? Did not know. :thinking: