Best IPO Year Since Dot Com

Cost for sure and a little bit functionality as well. Personally, I feel zoom’s flow is simpler and the IPhone app is more intuitive. Of course, I was not involved in the decision on switching, but most employees have similar sentiment like mine.

@harriet

@manch

:imp:

1 Like

Someone posted, I am just sharing. Content is not my original nor edited

Lyft’s stock begins trading this week. I decided to try to better understand their costs:

I’m not too experienced with DD so all feedback welcome.

tl;dr - Looking at Lyft’s costs (excluding those related to growth), it seems Lyft pays approximately 24% of bookings and a fixed cost of $575M. Lyft currently pays about 73% of bookings to drivers. This means that before the $575M fixed cost, they only pocket about 3% of bookings. Thus it might be hard for them to be profitable, and if they can’t raise prices or lower driver compensation, they probably aren’t worth $23B.

That being said, Lyft is a tech IPO and crazy things can happen the first few weeks (or months) of trading. Lyft might trade on a “pricing” multiple, not a valuation multiple based on their expected future cash flows. I do not expect Lyft to go down over its first few weeks.

My unhelpful recommendation is: Don’t Buy, but don’t short either (at least not yet).

2 Likes

This is why I ask many to read books.

Even before 1973, one of the symptoms of bull market is poor quality IPOs

1 Like

1 Like

Avoid loss making businesses at this juncture. Bull market won’t last long even if @Jil is wrong. Raise cash or reduce margin, wait like a crocodile. No point betting for meagre gain with high probability of big loss, crappy risk/reward. Holding if your basis is low is ok but buying now at high basis is not prudent.

Nah, secular bull is still intact. We have many years of bull market to come, despite some short term turbulences.

Wow. How many of those were good investments to buy at IPO?

1 Like

Airbnb is a good investment. It makes money. Uber never will

1 Like

If Lyft is anything like Groupon it’s not a good sign. Groupon is the biggest scam in recent years.

Uber and Lyft have yet to figure out how to make sustainable profits :slight_smile: Meanwhile, pretend to be the next AMZN :slight_smile:

1 Like

LOL: This is what I am telling ! How can I be wrong? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

It’s not even about sustainable profits. They can’t even turn a gross profit on the service before you consider overhead costs. A compassion would be if amazon paid $7 for a book, then sold it for $5 and bragged about the revenue growth. Amazon was at least selling items for more than they cost and making a profit on the books. The loss was because of investment for the future.

Uber would have to increase prices by 40% just to break even on what drivers are paid. That doesn’t count the overhead cost of their massive employee count. Last time I did that math, the overhead cost was $5/ride. They’d have to more than double prices to break even on operating profit. Of course, that would kill demand. That’s why the entire future of the company hinges on solving self-driving fast enough. They even admittted it in their filing.

I honestly think it’s worse than Groupon.

1 Like

When such worst forecast situation is there, they are coming as IPO and news papers reporting over-subscribed is questionable HYPE.

Tomorrow is deadline. If under writers approve it, it may be disaster to under writers (as they need to pay to company in case of lower subscriptions) or to the public who pays money into that company.

Company is fine as they get free cash from public. Presently, LYFT, UBER, PINS…etc are coming as IPO with FOMO public money!

Looks like the bankers are doing their jobs

1 Like

Initially, it may go up and start from $100 on market (or it can even start at $50), but eventually reflect the right price after lock up period is over. Except for speculation, there is no meaning in buying at volatile times. That is my take.

1 Like

Tomorrow is filled with fun and challenges like this, let us see how it goes.

I bet it goes to 20 in less than 3 months

2 Likes