Best possible way to manage a general contractor

hi all, I heard a lot of bad experience from friends and families that contractor took the money and not performing the work or delaying the projects. Worse, they keep adding change of orders. I personally had a bad experience as well that the contractor not following the contract for payments… what do you guys think the best way to manage contractors to ensure the remodel or addition finish on time, on budge and on schedule?

The only way to handle them is have the ability to replace them. Give them a deadline for each task. Dont make changes. Make decisions quickly. Do not let the guy pit you and your wife against each other.
Write into the contract a 48hrs release clause. If he does not perform give 48 hr notice and fire him

4 Likes

yes I agree, a lot of times if you fire him and it will be more expensive to hire someone to continue the same work. looks like a lot of those contractors there.

1 Like

They will like to work with you more if you speedily pay them to procure materials and pay their workers in advance. To get them to commit a schedule requires incentive. There are $5K for you if completed by such such date. Keep in mind they are also working with others concurrently. You will interfere only something is not going right.

2 Likes

yup, totally agree on not making continous changes
also try to be their buddy. My current contractor now i’m friend with, we go out eat dinner every couple weeks. Now i ask him to do stuff, i always have to get him to collect money. And he show me good northern chinese food.

1 Like

that’s cool. in current environment, probably need to pay them very well before they will make friend of you.

I had a very good experience with my contractor when last year I renovated my house. My best friend suggested me that Piling Contractors Sydney is best in their job and I am surprised by their work is done. I suggest you once should always take advice from their know when hiring contractors.

Welcome Lauren! From down under, eh???