Buying a house on the Peninsula (Menlo Park, San Mateo, etc.)?

NW Austin - West of 183, easy access to Google HQ and the hi-tech park in Jollyville.

Why target pfluggerville? Seem a bit far from the hi-tech employers. Heard RE is very hot there.

Pfluggerville is on a bit of upswing but I primarily choose because of Blackhawk area coz it is right by toll road that you can get to airport or downtown pretty quickly. And get the other side of the town via 45 quickly. Houses are newer there (less maint) and school is good (9 to 10) and rent number makes sense for purchase price.

Another area I like is Wellsbranch by Domain, which might be my next acquisition.

Really? Why did you leave Las Vegas? Many of my friends bought it, esp after 2008 downturn. Initially, I was thinking, but did not like remote unknown places. Looks to be Good Positive cash flow.

Now this is a house under 1m in the Peninsula

https://www.redfin.com/CA/East-Palo-Alto/1081-Beech-St-94303/home/865072

800K. 3/1.5. 1200 ft. East Palo Alto.

Kitchen is ugly as hell. Probably why itā€™s not sellingā€¦

I was wondering the same thing. Youā€™d have to be a pretty senior ā€œarchitectā€ type of software engineer to be pulling in 300K mid 30s. Very few rank and file software engineers ever make it to a senior architect type level. Most wash out, go into management, sales, etc. I hope heā€™s not banking on being a shot caller engineer by mid 30s. Perhaps heā€™s a lawyer ? Too young to be an MD.

Youā€™re late to the party. Californians have been doing that for decades. The cool kids move to salt lake, boise, or tulsa these days.

[quote=ā€œJane, post:31, topic:376, full:trueā€]ā€¦If he is in mid-20s and expect 300K by mid-30s, his compensation should be close to 200K by nowā€¦At that time, 40% of my compensation was ā€œbonus+RSUā€ (total amount had been stable for a few years at least) and I think it is quite common in Tech worldā€¦[/quote]Without bonus + RSU, = $120k, sound reasonable.

Further in the thread, he mentioned being an associate-level attorney at a law firm. If he wants to have a nice home in Menlo Park, he needs to either work his butt off and make partner, convince his girlfriend to become an attorney too or wait for his inheritance.

The fact that he has a job at all means he graduated from a pretty decent law school. Read an article on the NYT the other day about how many of the 2nd and 3rd tier schools are struggling. Their students canā€™t find any legal jobs.

Yeahā€¦ I had that discussion with someone as she was looking for a legal job. She said that they donā€™t tell you until you get through the second year that your income is going to be crap for a number of years until you make partner. If sheā€™d known, sheā€™d never have gone to law school, but by the time she was told, sheā€™d already racked up a ton of loans.

Only a couple of each associate class make partner. The rest get shown the door. The next job is usually at a less prestigious firm at lower pay. Then that cycle repeats at the next firm.