Career military man explains how he earns $80,000 a year in passive income

‘For me, real-estate investing takes no work’

Sell all your properties, invest in S&P500 indexing, 7% yearly, done!

Manch,

$80k gross rent? Doesn’t you collect more than that? Also you don’t like remote management.
Why bother to sell index fund to buy rentals? His no work is managing of property takes minimal work when you uses a property manager. Work is upfront when acquiring property.

It’s not for me. I don’t believe in buying 80k crapshack for cashflow. Posting != endorsement. :smile:

1 Like

He owns 20 houses without any mortgage. At $900 rent per house per month, he has a $200k gross income. Property tax, PM could cost $40k a year in total with $160k net rental income.

I find no fault with this military guy. His net investment is about 900k and annual income is 160k which will increase with inflation.

Wow that guy is amazing,
I have purchased and sold over 400 houses I am struggling to think of a single one that I could have done while travelling overseas.
I tried that method for about half my life and I was never able to get it to work with single family houses.

most management companies I tried charged me more than I was making in rent, and getting repairs done is difficult when your on the job site, I can’t imagine what would happen if I just didn’t go and started mailing out checks.

I had to switch from single family houses to large apartment buildings to make that work,
but it’s great to know that someone was able to squeeze more money with less work out of their single family investments.

How do you deal with capital gains? Do you do lots of 1031s?

I have done a few 1031s but mostly I just look at taxes as the cost of doing business,
and do hold some houses as rentals for more than a year and I get a tax break that way.

All that is very active income and the last few years I have been working on more passive income, that way it does not take so much of my time.

1 Like

Yeah. I think people often try too hard to avoid taxes rather than increase income. They may not lead to the same action.

1 Like

Speaking like a businessman :crazy_face:

I have written some massive checks to pay taxes and every time I have to do that I think maybe I should do something to avoid paying some of these taxes.

If I were going to really try to save on my taxes what I would do is set up a tax deferred retirement account that allowed real estate transactions. The do the deals I didn’t want to pay taxes on in the name of my retirement account.

This can also have some advantages that help protect those assets from lawsuits, and it’s much less hassle than the 1031s and it’s cheaper to.

Is there such a thing like tax deferred retirement account that allows real estate transactions?

You can do whatever investments you like in a solo 401k account. Mitt Romney grew his to 100s of millions I think.

1 Like