Asia Pacific Stocks

Good business model.

Dim sum is never for dinner.

That’s how you can tell i am not chinese, damn it. my secret is out.

I have had dim sum for dinner multiple times. Try Dim Sum King in Daly City. It’s alright. The only restaurant that serves dim sum at night in the Bay Area as far as I know.

That’s a ghetto dim sum place. Avoid at all costs.

Perfect 3.5 stars. Not as good as East Lake but not too shabby.

DB offers dim sum for dinner, but selection is limited. Who eats dim sum at night anyway? You can’t drink tea that late without having insomnia.

Dim Sum King had rats falling from the ceiling - avoid.

1 Like

Fu Lam Mun in MTV used to as well (a subset of their dim sum menu at night). They have been closed for remodeling for ages… Wonder what’s going on

1 Like

Luke Lango of InvestorPlace tries to defend IQ with this article, iQiyi Stock Remains a Long-Term Winner, Despite Near-Term Noise
As of this writing, Luke Lango was long IQ and FB.

In the big picture, iQiyi is one part nascent digital advertising business oozing with growth potential, and one part nascent paid video streaming business oozing with growth potential. Put both of those businesses together, and you get a company with a big-time growth narrative over the next three to five years. During that stretch, I maintain that IQ stock could double.

There is a free, ad-supported tier which 400 million-plus people use… By comparison, there are 770 million internet users in China… Last year, the digital ad business did under $1.3 billion in revenues on 420 million monthly active users, implying an anemic advertising ARPU of $3.

On the streaming side, 50 million subs seems like a solid number. But, China has around 250 million and growing internet households. So, iQiyi has an internet household penetration rate of just 20% in China.

What all these IQ analyses conveniently ignored the other players like Youku and Tencent video. It’s not obvious how IQ can be big like Netflix.

NFLX has competitors: HBO, Showtime, AMZN, AAPL, Hulu, YouTube, etc. I think there will have to be consolidation in the space at some point. I think NFLX is eventually bought by AMZN, AAPL, or GOOG. Tim Cook wants AAPL programming to be family friendly, so that makes NFLX a poor fit.

1 Like

Someone buying NFLX needs to pay 200B. I don’t see anyone stepping up to plate.

IQ’s competitors are pretty similar to IQ and can be good substitutes. NFLX’s aren’t. NFLX’s spend on original content outguns the entire industry. This year it’s spending 12B just on content.

AAPL has enough cash to buy it…Google has more than 50% of that in cash. AMZN is kind of poor with $30B cash and short-tern investments.

If anyone wanted to buy they would have bought it 2 or 3 years ago. Back in 2016 there was a lot of acquisition rumor and Cuban said it was the reason he bought the shares. But nothing happened and NFLX tripled in price.

I don’t think Hastings is interested in selling.

Video streaming services are not like retailing. In retailing, buying one product (e.g. iPhone) usually means don’t buy other substitutes (e.g. Pixel). However, is common that we subscribe to a few streaming services. The content are not exactly the same :slight_smile: For example, the extremely popular The Legend of Yanxi, is available in Youku only. So you need to subscribe to IQ, Youku and 10c video to have 100% coverage of movies, TV shows and original content.

1 Like

I don’t think that many people will buy memberships to multiple video streaming services. Would love to see some data to that.

Netflix’s game plan is to be the one and only stop for everyone. That’s why they are so aggressive on content spend. They want to have something for everyone all the time. This is in stark contrast to HBO. For HBO they will make one or two shows that are so great many can’t miss. HBO’s strategy is being one of a few and win by quality.

If IQ aims to be an HBO it won’t reach the market cap and dominance of Netflix. So it won’t be the Netflix of China.

I subscribed to 3. Guess you subscribed to just 1🤓

Which 3? All Chinese?

You are a crazy rich yen billionaire. I don’t have that much dough to spend.

I have yt tv, netflix and yt red. We dont get them for free either.

1 Like

Danny Vena of TMF wrote this article, Baidu Executives Talk Spinoffs, iQiyi, and Monetizing Self-Driving Cars
Danny Vena owns shares of Alphabet (A shares), Baidu, and iQiyi.

A recurring theme from Baidu lately has been the company’s divestiture of several non-core businesses. Baidu has increasingly focused on a couple of areas it sees as key to its future success: mobile, search and news feed, video streaming, and artificial intelligence (AI), all of which are complementary and linked.

manch,
Now that BIDU divested non-core, like it?