Chinese pour $110bn into US real estate, says study

No RE site is complete without talking about China. So here it goes…

Between 2010 and 2015, Chinese buyers put more than $17bn into US commercial real estate, with half of that spent last year alone. Unlike many countries, there are very few restrictions on what foreigners can buy in the US.

But during the same period at least $93bn went into US homes. And in the 12 months to March 2015, the latest period for which relatively comprehensive data could be gathered, home purchases totaled $28.5bn.

That took the Chinese past Canadians, who have long been the biggest foreign buyers of US residential real estate.

Geographically, Chinese buyers are concentrated in the most expensive markets: New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle. Property in Chicago, Miami and Las Vegas is also popular.

Without a graph, can’t size up the situation. Chinese investment trending up or down? % relative to total sale?

1 Like

It does say the last 12 months’ inflow was 28B, and the last 5 years’ total was 93B. It seems to suggest the trend is up. But yes, it’s not clear from the article.

And the money keeps a comin’…

It is an endless loop, we send money there for goods sold at Walmart and they bring it back and spend it on overpriced real estate. …Works for me, I dont shop at Walmart and own lots of overpriced real estate…lol

2 Likes

That’s why money is called currency. Flow in circles.

More China investment here…

http://www.barrons.com/articles/china-life-acquires-u-s-real-estate-portfolio-for-950-million-1495608505

How’s that China is a currency manipulator working for you?

Just stop. You don’t even know what it’s about. If you did, then you’d realize making their currency cheaper would make it more expensive for them to buy US real estate.

Uh oh…

Um… let’s hope Indians will pick up the slack…

Haha doubt it. For some reason rich Indians don’t buy houses for cash in US while they are living in India.

If I’m rich I wouldn’t have bought any RE in the USofA. Returns in Indian re in last 30 yrs is mind boggling and they don’t think need a home for their kids to go to school or work in bay area

1 Like

After considering Rupee depreciation against $? 12.75 - 65 today.

source: tradingeconomics.com

Can someone please provide currency adjusted returns of Indian real estate vs US real estate vs Chinese real estate in the past 30 years?

I’m referring to Indian investors buying here, currency fluctuation is the last thing on Indian investors mind

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/5-us-housing-markets-chinese-investors-like-175545287.html

1 Like

I didnt realize that SF is the largest Chinese enclave outside of Asian…More than LA, New York, London? ??

Probably not in actual headcounts anymore, but our SF Chinatown has always been mentioned as the largest one outside of Asia.

Maybe it meant SFBA? SF is too small to compare against LA, NYC.

London has very few Asian immigrants, it’s mostly white or middle eastern. London’s chiness population might be smaller than Sacramento

1 Like