Commercial Real Estates like Mall REIT will face issues

Please tell that to my wife. She buys and returns. Claims it doesn’t cost that much. Many times. Won’t listen to my pleadings.

Looks like after a long, death spiral, maybe bowling is on the upswing again. Note the age chart here:

https://www.whitehutchinson.com/leisure/articles/whats-happening-to-bowling.shtml

Also, when we were in TX earlier this year, we visited two malls. The malls were huge, traditional retail malls. But, with a new twist. There were entertainment venues galore. Including an ice rink with open views from the mall. Carousel horses. Museums. Aquariums.

I had my first experience at a Rain Forest cafe there. It was kind of cool. Drinks were cheap and tropical. That helps when dealing with overactive grand kids. :relieved:

And, they were crawling with families. Everywhere. Unlike the hoodlum villages that many malls in the BA had become.

Sun Valley mall opened when I was a kid. As teenagers, we loved to go hang out there. During my adult life, that changed significantly. For the worse. My family won’t even go there anymore.

Now, it might be swinging back. Perhaps this new entertainment venue is part of that. Maybe TX is teaching CA something. :blush:

Just saw an article on Sears

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/Sears-workers-reveal-mistakes-that-are-killing-8315758.php#photo-3571452

Go look at the sad pictures inside. Here are some:

Sad!

Again, consumer habits are changing and I don’t believe what @hanera is saying about retail making a comeback ON A WIDESPREAD BASIS is actually happening. Sure, Amazon is going to experiment in the largest city of the US a brick and mortar store to see how that works but the vast majority of retailers are hurting, like your Sears and the recently in the news Macy’s. To think these retailers are willing to lock in long term leases in commercial malls going forward under these market conditions would be simply giving money away. I believe Best Buy also was hurting on the retail brick and mortar level but may have recently reported good numbers coming from its online operations. Makes total sense. Yes, who doesn’t prefer to feel and try on things ideally but people don’t have the time and if the shipping is free for a minimum purchase buy why not?

I wonder what SUn valley mall would fetch as townhomes or condos

Due to location, I would guess that the higher and better use would be as commercial offices. Not residential.

Considering they just demolished an office building near Sun Valley to build a strip mall, probably not (old Chevron building)

Malls are not dying, All very crowded.