Do Boys Have a Comparative Advantage in Math and Science?

May be invite Lulu?

Most people struggle to achieve the first line. Doing that would be a success. There’s a management/coaching philosophy that it’s easier to take a below average person and coach them up to average than it is to get more from a player that’s top 1%. You also get a larger performance boost taking people below average and getting them to average.

It’s like the RE advice to buy the worst house in a neighborhood. It’s easy to increase the value to the median. It’s hard to increase the value of the best house in the neighborhood. People will just go to a nicer neighborhood.

I already scared her away… your turn to scare Harriet away… :rofl:

I think the real danger is some people trying to achieve step 3 without accomplishing steps 1 and 2 (i e Trump)… :rofl:

1 Like

I have a letter from my high school typing teacher to my parents telling them they didn’t have to worry about me until I got marrie7as I would make an excellent secretary. A totally different generation.

I excelled in math and science. My guidance counselor suggested teaching English would be a good option. I was interested in physics. I got a journalism degree. I hated covering politics and murder. Well at that time women really weren’t allowed to cover murder and politics but were relegated to the women’s section. I carved out a niche with a column on unusual occupations.

Then computers came to town. I was in loved, but the love was not returned. I was banned from using the system on deadline. Then the manufacturer hired me to test, train and manage installations. My love of math and science was satisfied.

I volunteered in my kids classes and noticed that boys got more help in math and sciences. Girls tended to be more verbal and were expected to excel in English and boys were expected to not excel. My boys excelled at both. It bothered teachers. My girls excelled at both. They placed higher than their classmates in tests but only boys were awarded the end of the year awards. I knew the teachers and when confronted they looked and realized their bias.

My experience is that very few high school grads know what they want to do with their life. Do what you love is too vague. It allows the easy path taken. It doesn’t account for getting a job or making a living. There are kids who do know and should be encouraged. But getting a psych or English lit degree doesn’t provide a direct job without further education. And that education doesn’t necessarily require an undergraduate degree in the subject v

3 Likes

By computers, you mean microcomputers/ PCs/ Macs? Not mainframes and minis, right?

Neither do many newly graduates :slight_smile:

Neither do many people in their 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s… Those in their 50s pretty much wasted their life away doing wrong stuff because they didn’t know what to do with their life.

Rubbing salt on wounds :sob: I’m one of those :cry: Actually I want to form an empire but don’t have the calibre, so has to withdraw to the cave.

Poor you…