Does it Make Sense for Programmers to Move to the Bay Area?

It’s wonderful to live in a place with job opportunities no?

No. This can be analogize to how some people call their workplace their “home” but not me.

So you are just using us for money??? :cry:

2 Likes

Not sure if joking, but if you really aren’t willing to admit that it’s a wonderful thing to have access to a job, you should move. No, this isn’t a childish “go home,” I’m saying life is too short to stay in a place you don’t like, and it sounds like you don’t even care for your job besides the money.

Done. Metallica’s drummer said the Bay Area is the coolest place to be in the world. No need to discuss anymore…:grin:

No, Metallica sucks.

1 Like

That’s a very irresponsible comment to make from a financial perspective. I think if I were your typical average millennial I probably would have moved a long time ago. Not to worry I have plans to eventually move, but thank you for your advice.

Ryan Tedder from OneRepublic also said SF has the best food…uh…no comment.

It is not the who exactly is singing the praises of the city, but the fact that many famous and presumably rich folks like it here. Didn’t Adele love that little breakfast/brunch place in Cole Valley to go back there when she was here recently on tour??? And no, let’s not suggest Adele needs to step away from the buffet table…:slight_smile:

Those who have the discipline will have it no matter where they live.

Those that don’t eat out in SF anyways.

Does it Make Sense for Programmers to Move to the Bay Area?
from my point of view as programmer:

it make sense to move to bay area:

1. if you are single for a quick buck
  2. to try your luck to get into big famous company for your resume (however it’s much easier to get into the same big famous companies outside Bay Area since competition is weaker outside BA, plus nowadays nobody say wow on resume with google as the last job, so not sure about this point).
  3. it’s easier to get first job in IT since we have lot’s staffing agencies in BA which has connections with IT companies which take unexperienced programmers on contracts for less money

It does NOT make much sense if you have a family with kid(s), esp. if you are planning to work alone and considering to move in BA, there are better places for such programmers.

1 Like

The article does make the case that as you move up on your career, pay is significantly higher in Bay Area, and opportunities are just more abundant. So I think it makes sense for the aggressive people to come here. But for people who want a more balanced life and spend more time with family etc, it doesn’t make sense to come here.

It depends Manch[quote=“manch, post:32, topic:1331, full:true”]
as you move up on your career, pay is significantly higher in Bay Area
[/quote]
If we are talking about programmers then I would argue this statement - there are few places where programmers have the same pay rates and career path for instance Seattle. My previous employer (big famous IT company) used to hire engineers in SF and Seattle in 2015 for exactly the same rates, bonuses and perks.
My current company which is medium size has office in Portland and recently we hired there an engineer and in job description the rate company specified was lower for about 15% than SF specifed rates.
I don’t have any info about other areas though.

I personally think the local name brand companies still have some wow factor. At my lil sister’s holiday party, there was a guest who worked at Facebook. Everyone was still going gaga over him and asking him about the wonderful amenities we constantly hear about.

As you move up, I think pay is more equal. I know one company I worked for paid the same for director-VP regardless of US city. At that level, it’s more of a national market for talent.

1 Like

Can you ask him about Facebook’s fake news next time? It’s not cool.

Told you Metallica sucks. This other member of that “band” moved to CO to escape the “elitist” Bay Area.

Survival of the fittest, OB1. We don’t want losers here… we want the best and the finest and generally we get them, in bunches…

Fake news like:

Hands up don’t shoot
Michael Brown was a gentle giant
"Peaceful" protests
Benghazi was a reaction to a YouTube video

The mainstream media is full of fake news. The public swallows it hook, line, and sinker.

2 Likes

Interesting backstory. It seems he bought over 1000 acres of land in Marin Cnty in 1990, had planned to develop it with 27-34 SFH in 2000, but gave up on the whole idea before cutting back plans to 4 SFH on 10 acre parcels (with restrictions) and donating a big portion of it to open space. I can see why he says he wants to escape.

2 Likes