East PA: No Water, No Development...Sort Of

Time to buy there!:yum:

Santa Barbara was the first in the nation to pass anti-growth laws using the lack of water as the basis. It was in the 1970s. Marin County followed suit years later when the courts ruled in favor of Santa Barbara in all of the lawsuits that were filed. The parallel is very high housing prices and the validation of NIBYISM for existing residents.

n 1975, the city passed an ordinance restricting growth to a maximum of 85,000 residents, through zoning. Growth in the adjacent Goleta Valley could be shut down by denying water meters to developers seeking permits. As a result of these changes, growth slowed down, but prices rose sharply.[39][40]

hen voters approved connection to State water supplies in 1991, parts of the city, especially outlying areas, resumed growth, but more slowly than during the boom period of the 1950s and 1960s. While the slower growth preserved the quality of life for most residents and prevented the urban sprawl notorious in the Los Angeles basin, housing in the Santa Barbara area was in short supply, and prices soared: in 2006, only six percent of residents could afford a median-value house. As a result, many people who work in Santa Barbara commute from adjacent, more affordable areas, such as Santa Maria, Lompoc, and Ventura. The resultant traffic on incoming arteries, in particular the stretch of Highway 101 between Ventura and Santa Barbara, is another problem being addressed by long-range planners.[41]

The parallel today is how the CEQA laws are used to stop anything and everything. We’ve even added new lexicon: “environmental justice” which has absolutely nothing to do with the environment as we understand it and everything to do with using the lower income classes as pawns in development fights.

Man, that ship has sailed a long time ago. I seem to remember when EPA was BAD…very BAD. Then it slowly changed for the better and now I am sure homes there are expensive. Obviously not as expensive as Big Brother across 101 but still…

You could buy a house in EPA for $100k on the court house steps in 2009…now they are $600k…best return in the BA

Wow, again, Monday morning quarterbacking is always correct. right???

1 Like

With that said though, am I correct to say that East PA was always for the most part SFHs, so that once the bad elements were removed you had a very decent area? I am saying that because had there been say public housing developments there I don’t think we would have gotten that kind of transformation to what it is today. Is that a fair statement?

I lived in EPA for quite few years. 1993 to 2003. There’s plenty of rentals out there. I remember walking over that little bridge between EPA and PA.
When I left EPA to Fresno area, houses were about $150K or so. Then they went up as the liar loans were issued to crumble to the same pricing after the bubble popped. We could have bought a home there, but the job my wife was seeking was far away. I could have bought one for $150K but that’s history.

For those who missed that pricing, blame it on your own. Any excuses that you were told there was crime everywhere is BS. The fact is that if you were an investor, you wouldn’t be living there, right? So, there it goes any BS about it.

Right, but specifically @buyinghouse, were there government housing projects there though? Rentals, I can deal with but government housing projects are pretty much never gonna leave or get better so I would take that into consideration if thinking about investing or not in a neighborhood. Being right there, across from PA, why didn’t you pick it up when you had the chance???

The bigest landlord in EPA was the State retirement fund Calpers…the ultimate slum lord…since sold…

I don’t know how to reply showing who I want to reply to:laughing:

No sfdragonboy, I didn’t see any housing projects at all. By the corner of 101 and University ave. facing that hotel, there’s a big complex of private enterprise I believe. Hundreds upon hundreds of rentals are hidden from view. I believe, because I lived there, there’s a couple on Cooley Ave.

I explained that our home was bought because the convenience of my wife’s job being a mile away. EPA was too far away and living there for years didn’t leave a good impression on us for any living purposes. We weren’t and we are not investors, but if we were, we missed the chance there big time.

@buyinghouse,

You just do what I did above, use the @ symbol and a list of names should pop up or when you type the first letter of the person’s name you can select the one you want.

I was just there at IKEA to look for potential tv stands for my lil gift for myself, a big o 90" tv and the area was packed. I should have driven by that duplex my buddy said was on sale there in Midtown PA to give a report on curb appeal but didn’t have time.

1 Like