Everything About Electric Vehicles

Elon Musk once laughed at Warren Buffett–backed BYD. Now, the EV maker is on such a hot streak not even a pollution scandal can stop it

2 Likes

The latest sign of BYD’s success is a rumored deal to sell batteries to Tesla, which—if confirmed—would be a remarkable admission from Musk’s EV giant that BYD has, in fact, achieved technological prowess.

BYD’s weakness is they don’t know software and platform which is Apple’s forte. I want to see an Apple Car manufactured by BYD :slight_smile:

The electric vehicle industry, for all its promise of lowering carbon emissions by removing internal combustion engines and tailpipes, is still filthy. Fossil fuels power charging stations, and battery packs consume commodities, many of which are no more socially responsible than oil, according to a June report from the Institute of Public & Environmental Affairs (IPE), a Beijing-based nonprofit. For instance, cobalt, a mineral used in many batteries, is produced with widespread use of child labor in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the world’s biggest cobalt exporter.

I see no evil so EV is clean.

1 Like

Tesla Stock Vs. BYD Stock: China EV Giant Going Into Production Overdrive

Tesla (TSLA) and BYD Co. (BYDDF) are both fast-growing EV giants.

While they are the two largest EV makers, Tesla and BYD haven’t competed much head-to-head. But the BYD Seal is set to take on the Tesla Model 3 in the next few weeks.

BYD’s EV and PHEV unit sales have passed Tesla’s unit sales…

1 Like

Last thing I would buy in my life is a china car. I won’t even buy china tires.

What’s the percent of plug-in hybrids in BYD numbers? I felt they are comparing apple vs orange.

So BYD didn’t just overtake Tesla, it raced past the U.S. giant by just over 100,000 vehicles, seizing the EV crown. Of course, Tesla still leads in all-electric vehicles, but BYD’s passenger EV sales did swell to 180,296 in Q2, significantly narrowing the gap.

Expected to overtake TSLA in the all-electric vehicles sales in Aug.

Well, I did it. I put down a deposit of $100 - more than a month’s worth of beer money - on an Aptera. The claimed 1000 miles cruising range works out to about 600 miles under Arizona conditions of speed, grade and climate. That compares to Tesla’s 200 miles under the same conditions. Charging time on 240 is 20% faster, not because the batteries charge faster - they actually charge slower - but because the weight and aerodynamics allows the Aptera to go much further on the same number of electrons. Ground clearance sufficient for bad roads and reasonably graded dirt roads. So the combination of capability and charging leeway make it a viable option in rural America.
I give Aptera at least a 50% chance of going bust.
But - it’s beer money :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Build 50 of these at $2.5billion each. $125billion… a lot less the the giveaway for student loan dead beats. The I will buy an EV

1 Like

Not sure I would want to be asked to test a moving mini nuclear reactor at even 65 mph… LOL

The Navy has been powering carriers and submarines with nuclear reactors for decades.

2 Likes

Let’s park them in all the surplus nuclear powered naval vessels in blue coastal cities. San Diego has several already Let’s see how much they really love their green EVs The power of a nuclear-powered submarine is around the 150-200 MW thermal power,” says Irwin. “For comparison, a very large power generator is about 3400 MW, generating about 1100 MW of electrical outp… just plug them into the gird like an EV for house
Power.

1 Like

CA wants it’s fleet of cars to go all EV - what’s it now? 5%?

2 Likes

Read somewhere it’s @2% of all registered vehicles in CA.

According to this link it’s 1.43%

https://www.thedesertreview.com/news/state/california-is-the-1-state-with-the-most-electric-vehicles/collection_f5ecfe8f-d789-592d-984b-ebfa3ce424d8.html#1

There are 4 Rivians within a block of my house. Tesla truck doesn’t exist.

1 Like

Rural America needs vehicles that can haul, tow and have reasonable charging times given the long distances traveled. There are no EV’s to meet those needs. The two seater Aptera will only work when folk don’t need to haul or tow (if it even comes to fruition). Most of America will still need at least one gas or diesel powered car.

Electricity is mostly generated by fossil fuels especially natural gas (not petrol) :scream:

Russia knew that :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Electricity price?

We have TONS of natural gas. It’s also how people heat their homes. It’s Europe that’ll suffer. They use natural gas to heat homes and produce electricity.

1 Like

Rivian Gets a $3 Billion Boost From Making Mercedes a Frenemy

Their electric van deal could help the company get off the ground, much like Daimler did for Tesla.