Everything About Rent Control

Yes. 1482 as written as of 2019-9-5 prohibits cities from passing more restrictive laws on housing regulated by the legislation. However, AB1482 does not apply to housing ALREADY REGULATED by local RC ordinances and housing regulated by Costa-Hawkins (:+1:)

If this bill is not signed in next 9 months, I think we are safe as we are likely get into recessionary phase soon.

I do not want to be political or discuss why and when recession…etc, but yield curve never fails including this time.

Many will sell homes, move away real estate investments, including big corporations as the ROI may not be attractive, from rent control states like CA.

In my opinion, CA representatives are sitting at the branch cutting their tree root. They will realize the revenue drop when real estate in California is going down aftermath of impending recession.

2 Likes

My thought too.

Already started since mid 2018.

1 Like

I do not want to make this controversial discussion, but just some true data from fact set.

• Earnings Growth: For Q3 2019, the estimated earnings decline for the S&P 500 is -3.6%. If -3.6% is the actual decline for the quarter, it will mark the first time the index has reported three straight quarters of year-over-year earnings declines since Q4 2015 through Q2 2016.

• Earnings Revisions: On June 30, the estimated earnings decline for Q3 2019 was -0.7%. All eleven sectors have lower growth rates today (compared to June 30) due to downward revisions to EPS estimates.

• Earnings Guidance: For Q3 2019, 80 S&P 500 companies have issued negative EPS guidance and 30 S&P 500 companies have issued positive EPS guidance.

• Valuation: The forward 12-month P/E ratio for the S&P 500 is 16.8. This P/E ratio is above the 5-year average (16.5) and above the 10-year average (14.8).

• Earnings Scorecard: For Q2 2019 (with 99.6% of the companies in the S&P 500 reporting actual results), 75% of S&P 500 companies have reported a positive EPS surprise and 56% of companies have reported a positive revenue surprise.

1 Like

What does this mean? Can a city such as Daly City have a new stricter RC over multi-family built before 1996?

It means if your housing unit is already regulated under Costa Hawkins, a city cannot pass stricter laws on it. Meaning since Costa Hawkins protects SFH/townhomes/condos, a city cannot pass stricter laws against them.

It also means that if a city does not have preexisting rules on MFH that are more strict than AB1482 (like SF does), then after the implementation of AB1482, a city cannot make new rules against that MFH that are stricter than AB1482.

3 Likes

Does Costa-Hawkins have such a condition that it does not apply to these single-unit housing when owned by corporations or REITs so that the new bill can cover them?

1 Like

So it will now cause one month rent to move a tenant out with out cause. If I had to see a silver lining in this bill, I am glad that change survived
`
see below

This is not correct, sorry. If the tenant is not at fault, then you must have a “no fault just cause” in addition to one months rent in order to move a tenant out.

3 Likes

I applaud your approach, but I think AB1482 “slightly repeals” Costa Hawkins when these housing types are owned by corps/REITS.

3 Likes

what is the definition of a “no fault just cause”?

Yah I am confused as well

here’s the relevant text:

so the most relevant one would be to do a remodel with permits

4 Likes

It appears local ordinances can make stricter amendments that would prevail over AB1482. Is this right?

The bill would not apply to residential real property subject to a local ordinance requiring just cause for termination adopted on or before September 1, 2019, or to residential real property subject to a local ordinance requiring just cause for termination adopted or amended after September 1, 2019, that is more protective than these provisions, as defined.

I think so. When I typed this:

What I meant is …

if a city does not have preexisting rules regarding rent caps on MFH that are more strict than AB1482 (like SF does), then after the implementation of AB1482, a city cannot make new rules against that MFH that are stricter (with tighter rent caps) than AB1482.

As you point out, it appears that local municipalities can still create tighter just-cause eviction amendments that would prevail over the “Tenant Protection Act of 2019”. (another name for AB1482).

1 Like

That is good news wrt no further tightening of rent caps for MFR (and SFR), and I think 5%+CPI is generous. Unfortunately it doesn’t help if the local rules limit rent increases to 65% of CPI.

Agreed. (reference above is to SF’s rent cap against MFH to 65% of CPI) Much like @manch — I avoid MFH. Once you have property that isn’t protected by Costa Hawkins, its easy to be targeted by the liberals and progressive.

What is the exact definition of being “owned by corps”? If mom and pop own, say, 10 properties under their personal names, is that exempt? How about LLC?