Everything About Rent Control

It’s cost of doing business in CA.

1 Like

I am evicting a tenant tomorrow that makes $90k and whose rent is only $1400 and hasn’t paid fir two months. tenants have way more rights than they deserve. They abuse the system and are the major cause of homelessness. Why rent to these deadbeats? Leave your property vacant.

2 Likes

Only $1400!!! Where does the money go? Do they drive a fancy car?

Drugs or gambling.

It is not uncommon to see a prospective tenant with a housing voucher in hand come to see a rental in a $60K SUV.

Thought you don’t own any rentals?

She blames everything on medical debts. But she is a pathological liar, so I am not sure and don’t care. Has a new car and wouldn’t even consider a roommate. Would rather just rip me off. Seems like stealing from landlords is socially acceptable. Kill the Landlord… Eddie Murphy.

4 Likes

I was under the impression that all residential units are already covered by just-cause eviction control but I went back and checked again and it turns out I was wrong. SFH and condo are indeed already covered by just-cause eviction control but newer constructions are not. Wow, didn’t know that before. But it’s already too late. :grinning:

AB1482 will get extended permanently after 10 years, regardless of what the data says. To be fair it does what it’s supposed to do which is to keep tenants in place so why get rid of a law that works. Deterring construction might or might not happen, and honestly why would tenants care.

Tenants should care…Lack of new construction will make them homeless eventually

1 Like

But that’s a very big loop. Tenants have the flexibility of moving to a new place any time they want without having to worry about what gets left behind. If one place gets bad you can always move to a new one.

Right?

Only if the supply allows. There will be lotteries for apartments and long waiting lists. And two families living in one unit. Just like in my wife’s home town, Moscow.

you forgot the “<sarcasm></sarcasm>” tags

1 Like

I edited my post. Does that convey the message better now?:grinning:

But I was completely sincere when I wrote that. It may sound like news but it’s true. It’s listed as one of the major benefits in the rent-vs-buy discussions.

I just had a judge slam a tenant down. He saw through her lies and made it clear that he would hound her for her filling fees, which she hadn’t paid, either. Nobody likes a deadbeat. If your prospective tenant has bad credit, don’t rent to them. Credit score is the best judge of character.
She filled an ex parte extension, Monday. The judge saw through it. Eviction is today @3:00pm
Once evicted I will file a judgement. Her delays saved her nothing. Just aggravation for me and her.

4 Likes

Credit score is based on credit history. The best judgement of a character is from that person’s history, not just from the financial (credit) history. The problem is due to privacy protection the non-financial history is not available so one has to rely on just the financial portion.

But in this age of big data and AI, the other data do exist. They are just not in a well-defined format yet and not easily accessible like what the credit bureaus have already built. Over time it’ll improve. Nowadays a landlord can peruse a candidate’s social network presence to determine whether that person can be considered. I can imagine that in the future maybe the Amazon purchase pattern of an individual can be factored into one’s overall evaluation, or maybe whether that person has paid visits to any adult store in the past month, or whether this guy goes through a 6-pack every other day from the corner store. It’ll be an epic battle between privacy sharing and protection. It sounds exciting and frightening at the same time.

Like China’s Social Credit Score.

China is early :grinning: world is going communistic but is not labeled as such :flushed:

Next law from CA will be “You cannot discriminate against renters based on ability to pay” :grinning: J/K…

…but again one never knows.

2 Likes

Vacancy taxes coming. can’t even leave your property vacant.

1 Like