Facebook etiquette?

Thought you bought tons of shares?

A few shares here and there… all based on the advice of our illustrious leader. But don’t have his intestinal fortitude, so I sold out after a 20% run up. Good enough for me. :smiley:

2 Likes

In Wechat can we criticize President Xi? :wink: It’s ok so far…

Wifey doesn’t care about censorship, so she’s fine with Wechat. I hate their app performance and not keen on how much your data is protected so I use Google hangouts. But if you are ever in China, Wechat >> credit cards or anything else. Spent some time in Shanghai, you could go through the entire day with paying for stuff, buying services, etc all via Wechat. it’s a pretty well vertically integrated platform and and the messaging is built around the concept of communities (like google hangouts to some extent).

1 Like

Why Google hangout? At least use WhatsApp, another FB property. :sunglasses:

Ok, here’s the other thing about Facebook, and getting chastised for responding to posts.

The latest guy who got upset has 800 “friends”. He posts about 6-10 things a day, mostly articles criticizing Trump and the administration–which is fine, but not all that interesting overall if that’s all he posts.

He has 0 likes on a third of the stuff he’s posted, and up to 4 on the rest. 800 friends, and maybe on average 2 responses to anything he’s posted. I mean seriously, most people get maybe 5-10 responses on something interesting that they post. He’s got 0-4.

Doesn’t he realize that the only people who are reading his stuff are the ones who might be posting a response in the comments? The guy is posting in a vacuum. Maybe he doesn’t want me “changing the subject” or posting an opposing view on his “wall”, but the who the heck else is reading it??

My feed has about 5% politics if you exclude our POTUS (I follow him on FB to get laughs everyday - it’s great). The rest of the content revolves around food, travel, babies, movies, runs, and puns.

Now that I think about it one of my Facebook friends got upset when someone challenged her on her left views and then she deactivated her account, so that was the end.

Clearly other of his 799 friends found “Hide this post” button, which makes FB Algorithm to less favorable to surface his post to other people. You should do that if his posts are not really value to you.

Yes, this is the real problem and FB is doing better to surface enough different view so that you won’t live in your own social bubble.

My feed has been less than 5% of posts that people have healthy disagreement. Unfortunately, it is not easy for people to share the bad days, which we should be doing it to let it out. I admit, I don’t do it on FB coz it has too much wide audience that might not have enough context.

Will you friend with me on FB? :sunglasses:

I use it more like a rss reader.

I get a kick out my BA friends reactions to my redneck Tahoe friends. Both think they are sublimely right. Blue and red America have absolutely nothing in common and no sense of the other reality. I suggest BA folks travel more. Especially close by to places like Stockton. They might find their views are not shared or liked.

1 Like

Yeah… probably. There’s also the “snooze for 30 days” which I’ve done to him a couple of times. I figured since he was a minor friend back in college, I owed him a chance, but then it’d get too much and I’d snooze him again.

I try to be open to having conversations about things that are not “of value” to me (or maybe put otherwise that I just plain disagree with the poster on), so I haven’t hidden many posts, but I do hide ads that I just don’t want to see more of. I wonder if the algorithm links the two.

Absolutely agree. Frankly I never post anything because I have such a variety of people on my friends list including husband and mother-in-law, that I’m afraid I’d start WW III if I posted anything even mildly interesting. I think I’ve posted twice maybe. I do post a lot in closed groups which function a lot like these forums but without the anonymity. I also get a lot of info out of those groups.

You can make groups of “friends”/“family”/etc. if you need to post to a smaller group. Of course there’s always that question of whether FB will accidentally make it–or a response to it–viewable to everyone when you didn’t intend it that way.

I wish that I could do that and have fun watching, but it’d stress me out. Deep at heart, I’d feel like a hostess that had invited the wrong guests to the same party and was responsible for ruining their day. I used to not care when I was in high school. I wish I could get back to being that way.

FB is a mine field . There can be a discussion of like minds. Then some thing comes out of left field and the whole thread goes down a nasty political path.
My buddy was showing boating and fishing pictures. One showed a oil rig in the background. Then whole thread went political and nasty.

2 Likes

Those people are morons who only want to live in a echo chamber, facts be damned. Just do it a few more times, and they’ll delete you as a friend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

True and true. I feel sorry for him. Because I can see that he really is posting into an echo chamber… a fairly empty one. Unmarried, living in NYC, and this is his social life… and he’s chasing away the people who are listening.

I didn’t really see that before, but then looking at his friends list, I realize something is very wrong with 800 friends and so few responses.

1 Like

I also permanently unfollowed him.

I’ll decide whether to unfriend him later after I figure out how or whether I want to continue using Facebook.

If I want news about the world, I can get it from other sources. The only point in following someone to me is to have a conversation.

What is scary is how many bat shit crazy people are on Facebook. They think it is safer than yelling at people in a bar. But people can be tracked down. The Trump vs immigration thing is bringing out people that are really dangerous and nasty

1 Like

Don’t worry–we can solve that by putting face recognition software into bars. Maybe we can make an app to determine how drunk someone is too. :stuck_out_tongue: