Finally, More Bay Area Housing Inventory Arrives After 16 Months of Declines

Price of a particular home is not a continuos function because there is no objective way to measure it. Only a sale determines it. In that sense, does the derivative even exist? If you are referring to median price of an area then there a lot of factors that can affect it in the short term. In Bay area if someone passes away in a house the value drops by 10%. :grinning: My point is that measuring the trend in the short term is guesswork.

You only enjoy it if you buy. If not, it’s a shoulda, coulda woulda. I’m glad there was a lull. It made it easier for me.

1 Like

We can call this the Zensri Uncertainty Principle – you can not simultaneously be the owner of a home and know the price. The only way to determine the price is to sell it, and then it is no longer yours…

5 Likes

From the CNBC article:

And of course all real estate is local, so certain markets are tipping faster than others. In San Diego, 20 percent of all listings had a price cut in June, up from 12 percent a year ago. In Seattle, which continues to be the hottest market in the nation, 12 percent of all listings had a cut, the largest share in nearly four years.

In Austin, Texas, also a very strong housing market thanks to a recent influx of technology jobs, more homes are seeing price cuts as well.

“We saw intense bidding on homes over the past few years, but that is calming down with more inventory in the area,” said B Barnett, a real estate agent at Reilly Realtors in Austin. “Our inventory of homes is going up with new construction, and it is helping transfer power back to the buyer.”

Barnett, who said about 60 percent of her clients are relocating into the Austin market, is still seeing multiple offers, but there are fewer bidding wars, meaning prices are no longer out of reach. Buyers, she said, are getting negotiating power back and some are even able to get repairs in the deal. For the past few years, in most hot markets, buyers had to take what they could get — no contingencies.

I wonder if sellers got ahead of themselves on list prices, because yr/yr prices are still higher. That means prices are going up but maybe slower than sellers thought. Listing too high is foolish. List a little low and let bidders drive it up.

agree, i see price went up a lot for last 2 years. can’t go up this fast and this long. hopefully stablize for a while for a healthier market.

It looks like a national trend of slowing price rises, flattening. Price drops may just be greedy sellers over pricing. Actual trending declines may not occur until demand drops significantly. Recession, over building, job loss? Supply is still tight

Over building? hahaha :slight_smile: That’s a good one.

Overbuilding happened in 2015-2018 in many places such as Florida and Arizona. It took 10 years to fill the surplus housing

Flat places with tons of available land to build.