Financial Samurai: DIRE, not FIRE

Ok bet 50% of your farm… :rofl:

50% is ok, you can lose it and still live your life. That’s called bet half the farm, not exactly a bet the farm

Yes, that’d make you only 50% mediocre not fully a hundred.

I understand the unabashed bullishness. But the last year was a breakdown of the ten year bull. What’s next?

Using the S&P 500 index (^GSPC) as a reference, stocks are up by a dizzying 312%, or 15.25% per annum, since March 9, 2009 according to data crunched by asset manager DWS. As of last September (before the fall swoon in the markets), when the S&P 500 reached a level of 2,930, the index made a 333% upside move compared to 2009, notes DWS.

Why not sell all your real estate. What are the chances of the housing market keep going up after rising for the past 100 years?

How to generate 160k stable annual income from 5M? Look at Sam’s portfolio. His farm is on CD and Bonds, some RE and very little stocks. And he worked 13 years as stock analyst in top investment bank!

“Below is a snapshot of my various passive income investments to hopefully hold us over during the next recession. I’m focused on building my Alternative Investments, since I have more control over their outcomes.

I will sell slowly over next 20 years. No rush. Cash flow is good. If you sold Tesla in 2014 at 279 you would be better off too.

But then I would be crying in 2024 after it shoots up to $4000.

I thought you had said you didn’t see yourself going beyond 10 years but seems like you just added another 10+ years to your lifespan… :slight_smile:

I’m 65. 90% chance to make 75.
60% chance to hit 85?

If this happens how long is your lifespan?

“Today I’m making one of my rare big calls: we will look back on last Friday as the beginning of the end for Tesla’s stock,” Tilson said in a newsletter distributed Monday seen by the research firm Quoth the Raven. He added that stock will be at “under $100” before the end of 2019.

“I sense that the number of investors who are losing confidence in Musk is finally exceeding those who are drinking his Kool Aid,” Tilson said.

On Thursday, CEO Elon Musk warned Tesla might not be profitable in the first quarter of 2019 after achieving two consecutive quarters of profitability in the second half of last year, a first in the company’s history. In February, Musk said the company would be profitable in "all quarters going forward

Re-posting

In September 2017 he closed his hedge fund, Kase Capital Management, after reporting important losses.[2]

Also, if Tsla went under I would still be alive and well, living and breathing.

Sam seems to regret over his early retirement. He now makes less money than his old coworkers. Also he had no income to buy real estate in 2012-1016.

And most of the early retirees are worse off than Sam.

Should people just keep their job and chug along?

I thought he’s bearish on coastal RE and super bullish on fly-over states? He should have plenty of money to buy those RE.

He makes money from his blog. Investment is only supplemental. The amount of RE he can buy in flyover states in cash is very limited.

Financial celebrity should be viewed more as entertainer and educator, not a role model.

He spent most of his time on writing, editing etc. investment is just a topic for his writing. The amount of energy you spend on investment research might exceed his.

Yet @manch thinks stocks like SHOP, VEEV and TWLO are duds.

It’s hard to make money from stocks. Sam works for Goldman for years and he makes money from blogging instead of stock investment. Majority of the top 20% wealthy people in BA makes their money from RE.

Most of the Goldman employees make money from salary and bonus, their personal stock investment return is minimal.

Is there any data to back any of that?

2 Likes

Excluding founders and businessmen? From my small circle, I noted many salaried employees unload stocks too quickly, they behave like traders rather than buy n hold investors. This is a RE forum, many own both stocks and RE, you get the feeling that their RE portfolio is more than their stock portfolio.

I don’t know any published data on employee personal investment. It’s just anecdotes

Did Sam sell his site to someone else? It’s been a while since I read anything he’s written and now I see so many ads! Sure an adblocker will remove the ads but for the general non-tech reader this has to be a bad experience.

1 Like
2 Likes