FinTech: V MA PYPL SQ SOFI CHIME NU AFRM UPST MQ HOOD Plaid Stripe Adyen

Don’t compete with AMZN? Again? If everybody think like this, no more startups, no SV.

Shopify is not only competing with Amazon. It’s also competing with Adobe, Salesforce and Square. I guess they are getting into the FC game to differentiate itself against the latter three.

As you pointed out I missed the 4x run. I will leave this golden opportunity all to you. How much are you buying? :innocent:

Regrettably I traded in and out, realized that I should have bought and held. Guess you’ve missed what I’ve said in another thread. Waiting for a good re-enter price :slight_smile:

Are you implying those companies are better or the pie is not big enough for all to prosper?

1 Like

E-commerce is still less than 10% of US retail sales. It’s far from reaching equilibrium.

Brands want to go direct to consumer. That way they own the customer relationship. Just look at how brands are cutting out department stores. They keep the best of their brand for their own stores and send the B designs to department stores. It’ll become the same way online.

Plus, Shopify won’t copy their products and sell copies cheaper on the same website. Amazon basics doesn’t offer anything original. It’s all copies of other people’s stuff, then amazon undercuts the original on price. Amazon can control the search and make sure their version shows up first too.

There’s also the trend that millennials want to buy brands that do good for social and environmental causes. Brands can have that image and marketing on their own site. That message will get lost being on amazon. Amazon’s third party has been growing faster than the retail business for years. The third party is also far more profitable. Shopify is correctly attacking the crown jewel of Amazon’s e-commerce.

1 Like

From collaborating to attacking the crown jewel.

1 Like

It makes sense to go after adjacent markets and small merchants are starting to hate amazon.

Lesson learnt: Don’t anger @manch

mach

Article below proposes to buy near 200-day SMA…

Long-Term Investors Should Consider Buying SHOP Stock Near $250

1 Like

My 2 cents:

With current market, do not speculate no profit companies unless you have clear visibility that company will make profit soon.

All loss ( repeated qtr over qtr ) making companies will be corrected. No RSI , no Bollinger bands provide correct data.

Hyped momentum stocks are going away and really strong stocks are staying by market makers rotations.

Not heeding @Jil advice?

I see @caiguycaiguy is front-running :pleading_face: my GTC buy at $260.

Another article, 5 Top Stock Trades for Wednesday: AMZN, CRON, TSLA, advocating buying at 200-day SMA. The author beats around the bush to avoid saying that directly.

As my own personal rule of thumb, I start to look at many of these growth names when they’re down 35% to 40%.

At $266, SHOP stock will be down 35%, and down 40% at $245.

When these big momentum trades unwind, they’re almost impossible to time correctly. If the selling keeps up, an eventual test of the 200-day moving average may be in the cards.

@Jil Buying SHOP is betting on current leadership’s ability to execute. Failure or success can’t be deduced from financial analysis. Have faith in Tobias Lütke.

May be working for you, but not for me…

Sometimes is a big mistake. So long the value of the stock portfolio is growing (ideally more than 11% or current S&P return), whatever strategy is ok.

So far, ytd for the risky portfolio is 35% (annualized 47%), far cry from @manch’s 300% and lower than AAPL’s 40% but higher than current S&P 20%. Passed, just not spectacular.

I agree as a trading stocks, but not for investor.

Buying SHOP at this price is fine, buy need to know when to sell. If people think it will go back to 400 or more, that may not be correct.

Technically, SHOP is at its low point (as of date), many would have shorted it, but when squeeze comes (released) better to sell.

In trading, the most important thing to consider is position sizing.
In investing, the most important thing to consider is asset allocation.

The reason is we always make mistake, shouldn’t get yourself into a situation that you can’t recover from mistakes.

1 Like

Golden Words, rarely noticed in this blog !

I don’t follow technicals. I’m not fancy and not that smart. I just buy companies I like and then I keep buying. Worked so far in my life. Living very comfortably.

Started in college in 2007. Core portfolio of BAC, C, FIAT (RACE), BRK.B, AAPL, BAM, and some TSLA, WFC, AMZN, and SHOP.

2 Likes

That’s how I started investing in AAPLs. Using technicals and fundamentals are much later. Sometimes I have to wonder do they really work.

So many banks? BAC, C and WFC.
Two fund-like stocks: BRK.B and BAM.
So few tech? Ain’t you a SWE?

Lol me as swe? I’m honored you thought so highly of me.

Was in Financial services, now a grunt . :joy:

It’s important to remember that Shopify and Square have both faced significant competition before these recent revelations and have continued to prosper. Adding PayPal and Adobe to the mix doesn’t necessarily indicate declining fortunes, but keeping apprised of changes to the competitive landscape is an important strategy for long-term investors.

Square Vs. Shopify

Both companies are poised to grow revenue at strong, above-average paces for multiple years. The driving factor for this is the large amount of businesses that open each year. Over 627,000 new businesses open every year in the United States, according to the Small Business Administration. About 100 million businesses are estimated to start up each year on a global basis.

Shopify’s valuation is too high to be attractive. This puts Shopify’s stock at a high risk of declining on any unexpected negative news. Square is valued at a much more reasonable level on a PEG ratio basis. Square’s lower overall costs to their customers gives the company an important competitive advantage as new start-ups are likely to be attracted to their offerings. With the lower valuation, lower costs to customers, and above average growth, Square looks like the better buy right now.

The SHOP reversal today was crazy. It was on no news. It’s like the price hit a number and the trading algorithms said buy.

That or someone here went all-in with max margin. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oversold re-bounce in the RSI. I think is short life, would reverse to test 200 day SMA. Shorted 2 puts so far. Waiting for it to get closer to 200 day SMA to long calls.

2 Likes