Future of Oakland, San Leandro, Hayward

What do you think is the future of this part of the Bay Area? Do you think enough texh companies will move in? Will it gentrify even more? It seems like SF and South Bay will continue to appreciate while this area has some catch up to do.

There has been a lot of appreciation already. More to come

Frankly, Oakland was/is not gentrifying quick enough for my tastes (granted I had owned there for over 20 years already) and so the opportunity to 1031 exchange last year into a property on the peninsula side was too good to not do, for many reasons (work relocation soon, tax reasons, etc). There are simply too many factions in Oakland that “wants” to keep it down from really exploding.

I have heard the concerns over the years (for Fab 7x7 of course too) but we should acknowledge the threat of a major earthquake on the Hayward fault, which most of these cities are on.

Nevertheless, I do believe these are probably the last bastions of affordability in terms of cities that rim the Bay Area so at least for investment purposes they are still decent and close by enough for self management.

I think SL and Hayward are too close to the bad parts of Oakland. The northern tip of Oakland is gentrifying fast, but the southern part is still pretty rough.

The area around Dumbarton is a better bet IMO. The gentrifying forces are starting from the north near Bay Bridge, and from the south in Fremont. SL and Hayward happen to be in no man’s land right in the middle.

The SL police force has expanded in recent years to protect from the border with East Oakland, so that helps a lot in reducing the crime

Recently I am starting to see more and more Chinese restaurant recommendations in SL in my Facebook group. Have you guys seen any demographic change on the ground?

Yes, I do see more Chinese/Asian restaurants in Hayward, San Leandro, Castro Valley… and all over the East Bay.

1 Like

I live in SL near downtown. I was walking around one day in downtown and realized as I was looking at the street, that every restaurant on the block was Asian (Chinese/Japanese/Boba/etc). Then I looked at the demographic statistics and learned that it is now 35% Asian.

1 Like

I heard good things about Pearl Bay. Reasonable price with decent dim sum.

The Bible is not rating it too highly at all. Below even your great 3.5 stars. I haven’t been there but did go to Fusion Delight (rated similiarly) which we thought was ok. Big place that can accommodate a big wedding banquet.

Well, at least not the Bart Station itself… but again, why are we doing this?

Why does it matter?

Meaning, why does it matter that we are doing this (renaming the street after him)? Well, for one, he was technically a criminal for assaulting someone on the train when the police arrested him. Not a saint…far from it. The reason why we should not do this is simply to tow the line: we do not honor less than truly honorable people. Ever. Martin Luther King? Sure. Oscar Grant? No way.

Do people want to put his name up because he’s a criminal? Or because he was brutally murdered by police?

Wow, a lot there…

1. People, mostly AA let’s be honest, want to put his name up in lights as if he or AAs as a whole deserved some reparation. Come on, the dude was on a train fighting with someone. He was a father to a child, but where was he that fateful evening? Certainly not caring for his child. Does anyone focus on that? Maybe that is why so many youths, AA or not, become criminals because of no presence of parents.

2. By definition, it was not a murder. A tragic accident. Involuntary manslaughter.

1 Like

If he’s not black but white or Chinese, would you feel the same way?

Many see this as symbol of police brutality. Yes, that’s a real thing.

How many people here are faced with a split second decision that decides if they live or die? What about facing that on a regular basis? Experiencing that stuff on a regular basis is going to change perception and how someone reacts to situations. If it doesn’t, they will die. All of that stress for an OK salary and knowing if you ever use your gun to defend yourself, then you probably just ended your career.

Soon we won’t even be able to find people to be cops in certain cities, so it won’t be a problem anymore. Then people can see if police or criminals are worse.

I don’t care if he were chines, green purple… we do not honor every freaking injustice (big or small). OMG, Dragonboy got carpal tunnel from all this freaking typing… we should rename Grant Ave for him…

Please, most of those police brutality cases IMHO had something criminal involved or was an aftermath of something criminal being done. Rarely, did we have a policeman literally walk up to an innocent bystander and shoot him. Again, if a crime truly happened, I am all for punishing the perpetrator…

OMG, my hands… hey do you have worker’s comp here???

Yup. Every single crime, however minor, should be automatic death penalty. If you do a crime you deserve to die. Why are Canada and US complaining about that white druggie caught in China?

2 Likes

I agree…he knew what he was doing and where he was doing it. You dumb, you die…