Gun Control

I just listened to a podcast on this and I volunteer in the mental health space - most of these young men that carry out these shootings wouldn’t be evaluated as having a mental illness if they were assessed - that would be something like BPD, schizophrenia, etc. Most of these people are just introverted, angry, feel entitled to something or mistreated and want to take it out on others - the mental health system is not set up to support these people and there’s no way to get them admitted / flagged not to purchase a gun just based on this. So the whole “mental health care” argument is dumb and not valid. I agree there should be some references or evaluation on these people prior to letting them buy a gun but a technical pscyh assessment looking a specific mental illness would not catch it.

6 Likes

Good to know. Can a specialized effective assessment be created just to catch this?

For sure - and I think interviewing friends and family would def help - as usually they are the ones calling out red flags on these individuals -

2 Likes

I never mentioned to ban 20M guns. Even though personally I don’t believe gun is a necessity and useful only for destruction/ killing unlike pool, driving etc. I respect ppl who want it and have a open mind to discuss how to improve safety/ reduce killing while allowing a gun. Doesn’t matter whether 100 ppl or 1000 ppl die, I would like to see improvement in safety whether it’s death in pool, car accident etc. Hope everyone has a open mind as well. As I mentioned several times I’m not an expert but was throwing ideas from other country gun measures. Anyways a good discussion :+1:t4:

I saw this’s followed in Switzerland, interviewing household member

It’s my understanding that certain SSRI medications have been implicated in a number of these shootings (as well as brutal murders of parents/loved ones using other household objects). It would be prudent to have a registry for those taking these medications and also ban gun ownership for them.

Rural America Reels From Violent Crime. ‘People Lost Their Ever-Lovin’ Minds.’

Murder rates didn’t soar only in cities during the pandemic; small-town sheriffs and prosecutors are overwhelmed with homicide cases

1 Like

Again, people are not understanding with the proliferation in legal gun sales that eventually problems will happen, and happen in big or small towns. Guns get stolen. Guns by legal owners unfortunately get into the hands of say young family members and accidents happen. And, simply some of these legal owners go wacko and use them unfortunately. Let’s be honest, like this case that just happened, it was fortunate that the guy did not have an AR15, right???

What has changed in the last few years?
Violence accepted as a form of social protest. Defund the cops. Revolving door justice - evident in the case of the Buffalo shooter.
Depriving young people at their most formative stage of normal human interaction.

So let’s stop doing all that and see what happens.

1 Like

Are you going to go door-to-door and confiscate every AR15?

This was what Australia did on gun regulations in 1996. It seemed to work well for them.

How are you measuring success?

1. Did the US or Australia have a larger drop in homicide rate since 1968?
  2. Did the US or Australia have a larger increase in sexual assaults since 1968?
  3. Did the US or Australia have a larger increase in burglaries since 1968?
1 Like

According to this study,

“Between 1987 and 2019, there were 15 mass shootings in Australia (defined as four victims killed); five involved a semiautomatic rifle, six involved a shotgun, and four involved a rifle. None since 1997 involved a semiautomatic rifle (Alpers, 2019).”

“The strongest evidence is consistent with the claim that the NFA caused reductions in mass shootings, because no mass shootings occurred in Australia for 23 years after it was adopted (until the 2019 Darwin shooting).”

If we use # of mass shooting incidents before and after gun regulation as a measure of success, the NFA in 1996 seemed to make a difference.

Are you indifferent about their increase in burglaries and sexual assaults? Overall, their homicide rate declined less than the US rate. I guess taking the bad is worth focusing on something that’s worst year killed 117 people?

1 Like
1 Like

In my dream world or country, I wouldn’t need to lift a finger. Every AR15 would walk by itself to the dump or police.

(Singapore in 1974)

Ong’s death was repeatedly cited as a reason why parliament should pass the Arms Offences Bill; it was passed and the law came into force in February 1974.31 Under the new law, anyone using or attempting to use firearms with the intent to cause physical injury would face the death penalty. Accomplices of gunmen and arms traffickers could also be punished with death, and long prison sentences awaited those in illegal possession of firearms and ammunition. More importantly, those who consorted or associated with gunmen, or abetted or sheltered them, were also convicted.[

You really picked the wrong country then.

1 Like

“Thirty-two incidents from 2000 to 2020 occurred during school hours, including 18 when classes were in session, three during lunchtime, and 11 during school dismissal.”

It’s actually very rare a school shooting happens during school hours. I wonder how many of the after hours ones even involved students.

“The K–12 SSDB aims to compile information on school shootings from publicly available sources into a single comprehensive database. It defines school shootings as situations when someone brandishes or fires a gun on school property or a bullet hits school property for any reason, regardless of the number of victims, time or day of the week, or motivation.”

That means the shooter doesn’t even need to be on school property or targeting someone on school property. 1 stray bullet on school property after school hours, and it’s a school shooting. Some would argue that’s a VERY broad definition designed to inflate the numbers and create fear.

1 Like