Housing providers across California, take action today!

This is from Small Property Owners of San Francisco Institute:

Assembly Bill 1506 was introduced by Assemblyman Richard Bloom which proposes to REPEAL the Costa-Hawkins Rental Housing Act. This is the most threatening piece of legislation put forth in the last 20 years.

Why is Costa-Hawkins so important?
Stops the ability to place rent controls on new rental housing. Stops the advancement of terrible policy.
Mandates vacancy decontrol which allows a provider the right to establish rental rates upon a vacancy.
You can read the bill HERE!

AAGLA needs you to do two things!

1. You must call and write Assemblymember Richard Bloom.

Phone: (916) 319-2050
Email:assemblymember.bloom@assembly.ca.gov
Tweet: @RichardBloom

1. Write and call the housing committee members

You can write them HERE!

Assemblymember Raul Bocanegra (San Fernando)
Assemblymember.Bocanegra@assembly.ca.gov
Office Number: 916-319-2039

Assemblymember Ed Chau (Arcadia)
Assemblymember.chau@assembly.ca.gov
Office Number: 916-319-2049

Assemblymember Ash Kalra (San Jose)
Assemblymember.kalra@assembly.ca.gov
Office Number: 916-319-2027

Assemblymember Monique Limon (Santa Barbara)
Assemblymember.limon@assembly.ca.gov
Office Number: 916-319-2037

Tell them you oppose AB 1506 because it will devastate housing in California!

Costa- Hawkins provides essential protection to independent rental owners and ensures fairness!
Costa-Hawkins has helped ensure Mom and Pop landlords can continue to operate housing!
AB 1506 will deter Investment in rental housing at exactly the wrong time!
Lower investment in multi-family housing will place tens of thousands of future construction jobs in jeopardy and will lead to even less supply of housing!
Owners who plan to collaborate with new initiatives for supportive housing will lose their fervor in helping to solve homeless issues and will become less likely to participate in local government initiatives.
This will destroy retirees sole source of income!
We need to encourage private rental housing!”

1 Like

No to AB 1506 campaign:

Pls email & call :

(1) Marc Steinorth (vice chair) – Rep. Rancho Cucamonga
Assemblymember.steinorth@assembly.ca.gov Tel. 916-319-2040

(2) Raul Bocanegra – Rep. San Fernando
Assemblymember.Bocanegra@assembly.ca.gov
Tel. 916-319-2039

(3) Steven Choi – Rep. Tustin
Assemblymember.choi@assembly.ca.gov Tel. 916-319-2068

(4) Ed Chau - D. Monterey Park
Assemblymember.chau@assembly.ca.gov Tel. 916-319-2049

(5)Ash Karla – D. San Jose
Assemblymember.kalra@assembly.ca.gov Tel. 916-319-2027

(6) Monique Limon - D. Santa Barbara
Assemblymember.limon@assembly.ca.gov Tel. 916-319-2037

(7) David Chiu (chair) – D, San Francisco
Assemblymember.chiu@assembly.ca.gov

AB1506 Assemblymember Richard Bloom.
Phone: (916) 319-2050
assemblymember.bloom@assembly.ca.gov

==

Email sample :

Hon. Assembly Member,

AB1506 is a mistake !!!

I oppose AB 1506 because it will DEVASTATE HOUSING in California!

Costa- Hawkins provides essential protection to independent rental owners & helped ensure Mom and Pop landlords can continue to operate housing!

AB 1506 will DETER Investment in rental housing at exactly the wrong time. It will LOWER investment in housing and will place tens of thousands of future construction jobs in jeopardy. Workers in the housing industry need to have JOBS to help SUPPORT many families.

It will lead to even LESS SUPPLY of housing!

Owners who plan to collaborate with new initiatives for supportive housing will LOSE their interest in helping to solve homeless issues and will become less likely to participate in local government initiatives.

This will destroy many retirees & elderly’ sole source of income!

When the property taxes, license fees, utilities & maintenance of rental properties keep going up, AB 1506 will put small property owners OUT of Business.

When a tenant voluntarily moves out at no fault of Owners, housing should be allowed to adjust to market rent after years of subsidizing prior tenants. Otherwise, after tenants move out, Landlords will Sell instead of renting again.

Owners can always sell houses to invest in high yield % Annuities or Tax Free bonds or Insurance index products if real properties don’t give comparable returns.

We need MORE housing!
AB1506 will put developers out of business!!

Please say NO to AB1506 !!!

Thank you !

• California Citizen

==

Call:
Dear AssemblyMember-

My name is…& I have a small rental property in your district. pls support us to say NO to AB1506. The rent of properties has been frozen in most cities Bc of rent control, with the rising Property Tax, utilities, license fee & maintenance, we have very very low profit margin. AB1506 will give us NO future!

We will be Forced to sell our properties & invest in something with Less Risk, higher returns & no headache such as an Annuity.

Pls help us to keep rental Housings.

Thank you Very Much !

1 Like

SF dragon boy finally has a friend here!!! Remember if you think the high cost of rentals is hurting economic growth you can use the list above to contact your representatives and ask them to support the bill. I just did! Thank you Fastisslow.

I actually think high rental prices are hurting the economy by reducing the amount of money people have to spend on consumer goods. The more money that is spent on consumer goods raises the GDP whereas rental increases do not. Rental increase never provided one job for someone. More consumer goods sold means more jobs.

The one who receive the rental is not a human and hence won’t use the rent to spend on consumer goods?

I too think the housing price and rent is too high, and it definitely hurts the economy. My first response a while ago was of course to cap the price. Over longer period of time, it doesn’t solve the problem though: If more people are asking for housing(renting or owning) than what is available, even if the price is artificially kept low, the problem still exists. i.e, some people who need housing won’t be able to get them.

So the fundamental imbalance isn’t the price. Price is only reflecting the imbalance. If we cannot reduce demand, we’ll have to increase supply to reach equilibrium.

That’s a good question. Many landlords are actually large corporations that rent to many people, sometimes hundreds or thousands. Instead of spending they invest, leaving little to be spent on consumer goods. Even many small landlords, say with 5-20 rental units will spend a small amount on consumer goods and invest the rest, leaving much more money in the hands of consumers if they were to charge more reasonable rents.
I’m not saying that you should not be able to get a reasonable return on your investment. I’m saying what is best for the economy.

I think rent control should only apply to people with five or more units per family unit, and by that I mean you can’t put it in your spouse’s or five year old child’s name to get around it.

If housing costs too much build more…Dont come up with laws that will restrict supply…Who will build if future buildings will be rent controlled?

The nimbys caused the problem, and now they want to make it worse…
How about allowing higher density and increasing height limits?

Landlords are usually mom and pop. Landlords that are large corporations are for apartments and condos. Recent years, hedge funds try to enter into the traditional mom and pop, but I read that they have been selling.

As for enforcing rent control for landlords with more than 5 rentals, not sure is a politics of envy or really good for the economy. I have been reading there is a rising trend of disliking ‘rent seeking’ activities such as housing rentals, owning shares, etc.